[Grammar] Teko

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmauer7

Member Type
Student or Learner
How would you pronounce Teko? Would it be like (Tech - O) or would it be like (TEA - KO)

Me and my friends are debating over this. While I am here, I may just ask, if we wanted it to be pronounced (TEA - KO) What would the spelling have to be like? Would it have to be TIKO? I am really confused.

Thanks for the help.:cheers:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
How would you pronounce Teko? Would it be like (Tech - O) or would it be like (TEA - KO)

Me and my friends are debating over this. While I am here, I may just ask, if we wanted it to be pronounced (TEA - KO) What would the spelling have to be like? Would it have to be TIKO? I am really confused.

Thanks for the help.:cheers:
There is no way to tell. As you know, English does not have a regular correspondence between spelling and pronunciation.
No doubt, it would be easy to say how this would be pronounced in Japanese or Italian, or other languages with a close to 1:1 correspondence.
I'd say [FONT=&quot]/’ti:keʊ/

[/FONT]

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
In the absence of any knowledge of the word, I would default to the standard rules of English pronunciation and pronounce the word as "Tech - O".

Why not "TEA - KO"? Simple, there is no magic E at the end of the word to change the vowel sound of the first "air" to "ea".

Since "Teko" may be a name, both pronunciations are "correct" until you hear it from the horse's mouth that tells you otherwise.

I am aware of two company names with similar(ish) spellings to Teko that I do pronounce differently irrespective of the standard rules of English pronunciation:

Tektro ---> Tech-tro

Beko ---> Beako

I realise that the pronunciations (especially that of Beko) may be wrong, but the errors are made deliberately in order to accentuate the sound of the words with a positive connotation.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
How about Neko?

Attachments