Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    sherishine's Avatar
    sherishine is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    79

    Question Does"three-decker hats"refers to Tiara?/Le Stanze per la Gios-tra

    From the English Patient

    14th century

    “It was a bloody life. Daggers and politics and three-decker hats and colonial padded stockings and wigs. Wigs of silk! Of course Savonarola came later, not much later, and there was his Bonfire of the Vanities. Poliziano translated Homer. He wrote a great poem on Simonetta Vespucci, you know her?

    No, said Hana, laughing.

    Paintings of her all over Florence. Died of consumption at twenty-three. He made her famous with Le Stanze per la Gios-tra and then Botticelli painted scenes from it. Leonardo painted scenes from it. ”


    Question1:Does "three-decker hats"refers to Tiara which is wore by The Pope?Or is there any other kind of hat(not Tiara) that has three layers?


    Question2:What does Le Stanze per la Gios-tra mean? Is it Latin or Italian?

  2. #2
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,916

    Re: Does"three-decker hats"refers to Tiara?/Le Stanze per la Gios-tra

    Quote Originally Posted by sherishine View Post
    From the English Patient

    14th century

    “It was a bloody life. Daggers and politics and three-decker hats and colonial padded stockings and wigs. Wigs of silk! Of course Savonarola came later, not much later, and there was his Bonfire of the Vanities. Poliziano translated Homer. He wrote a great poem on Simonetta Vespucci, you know her?

    No, said Hana, laughing.

    Paintings of her all over Florence. Died of consumption at twenty-three. He made her famous with Le Stanze per la Gios-tra and then Botticelli painted scenes from it. Leonardo painted scenes from it. ”


    Question1:Does "three-decker hats"refers to the Tiara which is woren by The Pope?Or is there any other kind of hat(not Tiara) that has three layers?

    I don't think it does; and there were.

    Incidentally 'the tiara which is worn by the Pope' sounds rather odd. The phrase 'the Papal Tiara' exists, but the word 'tiara' on its own usually refers to what princesses wear!

    Quote Originally Posted by sherishine View Post
    Question2:What does Le Stanze per la Gios-tra mean? Is it Latin or Italian?
    Italian - but that word doesn't mean a lot ^*^ when he was writing La Giostra

    b

    * PS This addition '[...doesn't mean a lot] when used to refer to the languages spoken in what is now known as 'Italy' at the time [when he was ...]' explains (but doesn't really justify ) the change of tense from 'doesn't mean' to 'he was writing'. Sorry.
    Last edited by BobK; 28-Apr-2010 at 14:20. Reason: Added PS

  3. #3
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,916

    Re: Does"three-decker hats"refers to Tiara?/Le Stanze per la Gios-tra

    In case you missed it, I added a PS to my last post to clarify the last sentence.

    b

  4. #4
    sherishine's Avatar
    sherishine is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    79

    Re: Does"three-decker hats"refers to Tiara?/Le Stanze per la Gios-tra

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I don't think it does; and there were.

    Incidentally 'the tiara which is worn by the Pope' sounds rather odd. The phrase 'the Papal Tiara' exists, but the word 'tiara' on its own usually refers to what princesses wear!


    You mentioned that there were other three-level hats, could you cite a few examples about these hats? In 14th century, who wore these kind of hats?What kind of status did it represent?

  5. #5
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,916

    Re: Does"three-decker hats"refers to Tiara?/Le Stanze per la Gios-tra

    Quote Originally Posted by sherishine View Post
    You mentioned that there were other three-level hats, could you cite a few examples about these hats? In 14th century, who wore these kind of hats?What kind of status did it represent?
    Sorry - bad time; bit of a rush! This looks good:

    Fabulous Hats - history of hats 06. Hats ancestors

    b

  6. #6
    sherishine's Avatar
    sherishine is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    79

    Re: Does"three-decker hats"refers to Tiara?/Le Stanze per la Gios-tra

    Thanks !

    It is really informative,and I find more stories about the hatsO(∩_∩)O

    Yet,I still can't find the information about three-decked hats.Bob,do you remember the kind of hat that has three-levels?

  7. #7
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,916

    Re: Does"three-decker hats"refers to Tiara?/Le Stanze per la Gios-tra

    Quote Originally Posted by sherishine View Post
    Thanks !

    It is really informative,and I find more stories about the hatsO(∩_∩)O

    Yet,I still can't find the information about three-decked hats.Bob,do you remember the kind of hat that has three-levels?
    I don't think the author has any particular style in mind - he just means ornate/elaborate hats. (Anyway, that's how I read it: the five particular things he mentions are just supposed to evoke an atmosphere of elaborate 'high living' masking a reality of bloody mayhem.)

    b

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •