• Native Language:
      • Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Greece
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

How do you use tenses! Be honest :D

Hello!
    One more tense related question! So far I know that Present Continuous is used for something happening now!

Last night I was reading a Simpsons comic book and in one of the stories (book has) bart did something stupid (like walking naked downtown). Lisa was very upset and said
    "Bart, I am telling mom" or "I am telling mom, Bart"

So I decided to check my grammar to see why Lisa used Present Continuous and not a Future tense (ex. "Bart I ll tell it to mom").

My grammar says that present continuous might also be used to show annoyance (which is probably the case) but it needs "always" before the present continous.
    For example "I am always eating cookies in your bed " (well where is the upset in the sentenec I just wrote?) or "He is always telling lies " (there is an upset in this sentence).

I would like to thank you in advance for your help
    Best Regards
    Alex.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Re: How do you use tenses! Be honest :D

Quote Originally Posted by dervast View Post
    Hello!
    One more tense related question! So far I know that Present Continuous is used for something happening now!

Last night I was reading a Simpsons comic book and in one of the stories (book has) bart did something stupid (like walking naked downtown). Lisa was very upset and said

So I decided to check my grammar to see why Lisa used Present Continuous and not a Future tense (ex. "Bart I ll tell it to mom").

My grammar says that present continuous might also be used to show annoyance (which is probably the case) but it needs "always" before the present continous.
    For example "I am always eating cookies in your bed " (well where is the upset in the sentenec I just wrote?) or "He is always telling lies " (there is an upset in this sentence).

Best Regards
    Alex.
    (Not a teacher)
    Present continuous can also be used to show a self-made plan especially for the not too distant future, similar to that of your example and "We are having a party tonight".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: How do you use tenses! Be honest :D

Quote Originally Posted by dervast View Post
    Hello!

Best Regards
    Alex.
    Do you mean your grammar book doesn't tell you that this tense is often used with a future meaning? That's odd. Perhaps if you look under the "future tense" section.
    "London is hosting the 2012 Olympic Games".
    "I'm studying at Juilliard next year".
    It's very common.