Question on reference

My task is to find two types of personal, demonstrative and comparative references in a text.

Would i be right in saying the 2 words in bold here are personal references?

Until now, cheats only risk losing their child's place on the school roll. But Dr Craig recommended that in future they should probably face charges.

"Currently parents have nothing to lose by lying, as the action allowed by the code only puts them back to the position that they were in already,” the report said.

Would i be right in saying the 2 words in bold here are demonstrative references?

. He admitted that it was an extreme measure but in 2007 it led to the offer of a place being withdrawn. “It’s only been used once, but on that occasion we deemed it to be necessary,” he said. “Since that occurrence my colleagues and I have noticed a decline in suspicious applications. So you only have to do something like that once and make it known and I think it will scare people off.”

Would i be right in saying the 2 words in bold here are comparative references?

Mr Balls also agreed with the adjudicator that rules governing the admission of twins should be changed, so that siblings in the same year should always be given places at the same school. Under the system, each twin’s application is dealt with separately by the local authority. It can mean they are sent to different primary schools.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Question on reference

----- I am not an English teacher -----

Quote Originally Posted by sophiehhrr View Post
    My task is to find two types of personal, demonstrative and comparative references in a text.

Would i be right in saying the 2 words in bold here are personal references?

Until now, cheats only risk losing their child's place on the school roll. But Dr Craig recommended that in future they should probably face charges.

"Currently parents have nothing to lose by lying, as the action allowed by the code only puts them back to the position that they were in already,” the report said.

Would i be right in saying the 2 words in bold here are demonstrative references?

. He admitted that it was an extreme measure but in 2007 it led to the offer of a place being withdrawn. “It’s only been used once, but on that occasion we deemed it to be necessary,” he said. “Since that occurrence my colleagues and I have noticed a decline in suspicious applications. So you only have to do something like that once and make it known and I think it will scare people off.”

Would i be right in saying the 2 words in bold here are comparative references?

Mr Balls also agreed with the adjudicator that rules governing the admission of twins should be changed, so that siblings in the same year should always be given places at the same school. Under the system, each twin’s application is dealt with separately by the local authority. It can mean they are sent to different primary schools.
    Regarding the examples with personal and demonstrative references I tend to agree with you, although in the very first example I guess there is some pretext missing.
    I don't understand the last one 'comparative references', could you provide an example first?

PS1) I advise you to write smaller posts. For example this thread could have been split into three different ones. It helps the members to answer.
    PS2) Please try to always capitalize the pronoun "I", people like it here.

Re: Question on reference

Oh right sorry. Well from my knowledge of comparative references they express likeness between things. Such as identity (if two things are the same), similarity and difference, which is why i referred to those two examples as comparative references.