Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Derogatory slang meaning a person is five feet tall and five feet wide, "Mr. five by five".

Johny123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Generally it is used to measured space or specific area, suppose 5 meters width & five meter length so total 25 meter area

SUDHKAMP

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Today, I find that despite her failing health, Anglika found time to answer the students of this forum.
Simply great!!!

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Today, I find that despite her failing health, Anglika found time to answer the students of this forum.
Simply great!!!

:up:

leiito

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
Simply great!!!

Yes and no. And perhaps part cultural not linguistic. "Simply great" may be expressing a bit too much enthusiasm in a situation when someone's health is failing (unless one was discussing a significant improvement of course). In fact, to say that someone's health is failing implies a serious and deteriorating medical condition, which as such is a private matter, usually not something people like to see discussed on a public message board.

And a question for the sticklers for tenses. Would a present perfect be better here, as in "Anglika has found the time* to answer the students...If so why?

*for the ultimate hair splitters, the idiomatic expression is to find the time to do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.