Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

honor killing

i need to wright an argumantative essay about honor killing. is it legal or illegal? in my openion its illegal. what do you think??

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: honor killing

مساُء الجير
    You may find more information on: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing.
    As I know, Honor killing is illegal in all countries. Many things are forbidden but.....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If you're writing an essay for class, then the opinon expressed must be your own. Deep down, what do you think? If you find the murderer who killed your mother, do you shoot or stab him to death? Or do you believe that any form of killing is wrong, and the the murderer's fate should be left up to the court/legal system? Only you know the answers to that question.

thank you. Am against honor killing for sure .... i just need to ask how the legal system and educational system can help to protect women from honor crimes??

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    If you're writing an essay for class, then the opinon expressed must be your own. Deep down, what do you think? If you find the murderer who killed your mother, do you shoot or stab him to death? Or do you believe that any form of killing is wrong, and the the murderer's fate should be left up to the court/legal system? Only you know the answers to that question.
    Honour killing has nothing to do with revenge. Revenge is illegal in all countries in all cases while honour killing is legal in patriarchal and masculine society. Murderers are left without charges because it isn't considered a crime if a female is murdered by her male relative when he thinks she dishonours family name. A female victim is murdered because she chats with men online, by phone or dates a man or when she loses her virgin without marriage even a raped victim puts to death too. They think they wash their 'shame' with her blood.
    Sometimes males can also be victims of honour killing but that's very rarely. For me, I think a life is much much worthy than a family reputation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Well... this forums is no place to discuss culture, but... I express my repudiation to those acts of killing women for their bad behaviour!

Honour Killing, to me, is illigal, of course, but it does not justify the fact that, for example, a thief breaks into my house and kills my wife and sons/daughters.... there's no man or law made by men that would stop me from exterminating him/her, if the death will be quick or slow, that's another story!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

What was again the phrasal verb whose preposition is 'down' that means to put an animal to death?

____ down this poor animal!
    ____ this poor animal down!

Thanks!

EDIT: is it 'take'?
    Last edited by Offroad; 01-May-2010 at 15:22.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

It's 'put', and is commonly used in the passive: 'I'm afraid your pony needs to be put down'. (I'm not saying it can't be used in the active; but it's oten used euphemistically, and the passive makes the person who does the killing seem more remote from the act).

But this really belongs in a separate thread.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Naser View Post
    i need to wright an argumantative essay about honor killing. is it legal or illegal? in my openion its illegal. what do you think??
    You can't really have an opinion on whether something is illegal or not. It's either legal or it's not, depending on which country you're talking about. You can have an opinion on whether it's right or wrong (as far as your personal morals are concerned) and whether, in individual cases, it's justified or not.

Needless to say, I personally think it's an abhorrent practice but equally, I have rather strong opinions about the rights and wrongs of certain countries trying to impose their moral values etc on certain other countries.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Needless to say, I personally think it's an abhorrent practice but equally, I have rather strong opinions about the rights and wrongs of certain countries trying to impose their moral values etc on certain other countries.
    Actually, it's not "countries" who do this - it's the people in those countries who are concerned about people who happen to live in other countries.
    Perhaps it's better to refer to countries as "nation-states", some of which are ruled by a totalitarian leadership which has no interest in the well-being of 'their' subjects, and whose contract with the people has come about by threats, violence, persecution and terror.
    I'm not an expert in international law, but the morality of doing nothing can only be justified by maintaining the fiction that all national leaders have moral sovereignty over the people they have managed to subjugate.

Also, I'm not sure whether "honour killing" is a legal entity. Murder is illegal, by definition. Killing is not necessarily illegal in most countries under certain circumstances - war, euthanasia, capital punishment, abortion ... honour killing?

[Sorry this is off-topic, but the OP asked for ideas and these are just for the sake of argument.]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast