[Essay] honor killing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miriam Naser

Member Type
Student or Learner
i need to wright an argumantative essay about honor killing. is it legal or illegal? in my openion its illegal. what do you think?? :) :?:

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
مساُء الجير
You may find more information on: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing.
As I know, Honor killing is illegal in all countries. Many things are forbidden but.....:-(

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you're writing an essay for class, then the opinon expressed must be your own. Deep down, what do you think? If you find the murderer who killed your mother, do you shoot or stab him to death? Or do you believe that any form of killing is wrong, and the the murderer's fate should be left up to the court/legal system? Only you know the answers to that question.

Miriam Naser

Member Type
Student or Learner
thank you. Am against honor killing for sure .... i just need to ask how the legal system and educational system can help to protect women from honor crimes??

Over the top

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
If you're writing an essay for class, then the opinon expressed must be your own. Deep down, what do you think? If you find the murderer who killed your mother, do you shoot or stab him to death? Or do you believe that any form of killing is wrong, and the the murderer's fate should be left up to the court/legal system? Only you know the answers to that question.

Honour killing has nothing to do with revenge. Revenge is illegal in all countries in all cases while honour killing is legal in patriarchal and masculine society. Murderers are left without charges because it isn't considered a crime if a female is murdered by her male relative when he thinks she dishonours family name. A female victim is murdered because she chats with men online, by phone or dates a man or when she loses her virgin without marriage even a raped victim puts to death too. They think they wash their 'shame' with her blood.
Sometimes males can also be victims of honour killing but that's very rarely. For me, I think a life is much much worthy than a family reputation.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Well... this forums is no place to discuss culture, but... I express my repudiation to those acts of killing women for their bad behaviour!

Honour Killing, to me, is illigal, of course, but it does not justify the fact that, for example, a thief breaks into my house and kills my wife and sons/daughters.... there's no man or law made by men that would stop me from exterminating him/her, if the death will be quick or slow, that's another story!

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
What was again the phrasal verb whose preposition is 'down' that means to put an animal to death?

____ down this poor animal!
____ this poor animal down!

Thanks!

EDIT: is it 'take'?

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's 'put', and is commonly used in the passive: 'I'm afraid your pony needs to be put down'. (I'm not saying it can't be used in the active; but it's oten used euphemistically, and the passive makes the person who does the killing seem more remote from the act).

But this really belongs in a separate thread. ;-)

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
i need to wright an argumantative essay about honor killing. is it legal or illegal? in my openion its illegal. what do you think?? :) :?:

You can't really have an opinion on whether something is illegal or not. It's either legal or it's not, depending on which country you're talking about. You can have an opinion on whether it's right or wrong (as far as your personal morals are concerned) and whether, in individual cases, it's justified or not.

Needless to say, I personally think it's an abhorrent practice but equally, I have rather strong opinions about the rights and wrongs of certain countries trying to impose their moral values etc on certain other countries.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Needless to say, I personally think it's an abhorrent practice but equally, I have rather strong opinions about the rights and wrongs of certain countries trying to impose their moral values etc on certain other countries.
Actually, it's not "countries" who do this - it's the people in those countries who are concerned about people who happen to live in other countries.
Perhaps it's better to refer to countries as "nation-states", some of which are ruled by a totalitarian leadership which has no interest in the well-being of 'their' subjects, and whose contract with the people has come about by threats, violence, persecution and terror.
I'm not an expert in international law, but the morality of doing nothing can only be justified by maintaining the fiction that all national leaders have moral sovereignty over the people they have managed to subjugate.

Also, I'm not sure whether "honour killing" is a legal entity. Murder is illegal, by definition. Killing is not necessarily illegal in most countries under certain circumstances - war, euthanasia, capital punishment, abortion ... honour killing?

[Sorry this is off-topic, but the OP asked for ideas and these are just for the sake of argument.]

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with emsr2d2- the legality or illegality is a question of fact not opinion.

Unwritten

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Palestinian Territory
Mmmmmmm.. Perplexing issue !:-?
as I see, U are palestinian just like me, and I am Muslim, it is known that in our religion it is taboo to kill anybody.
In this case of "honor", there must be 4 witnesses to approve the killing of this "woman" or "man" who did something wrong. Which says that nobody has the right to approve this kind of killing except for the judge who will make such a decision counting on several evidences. So I would say that "honor killing" is legal just when certain conditions occur.

Over the top

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Unwritten, How sad you think honor killing is ok? the worst actually when you made such a thing a God's or Islamic teaching.
It has nothing to do with Islam. It took places many years ago in countires where the dominant religion is Christianity but they really became modern and got over dark ages while we still defending many of inhumane, dark ages and anti-women practices and considering them religious values that breaking the least of them will throw a person in the deepest hell.
Justifying evil acts as God's holy orders is the easiest way to make such a thing lives in society as long as possible. God does not order evil with witnesses or without.
A few months ago two girls aged 22-24 were killed by their 20-year-old brother for merely were mixing with non relative men and I bet the murderer now is living happily and maybe hanging out in one of the luxury malls.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sad indeed, but the OP has been dealt with and I'm closing this thread.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.