Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    areev's Avatar
    areev is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    34

    bake,toast,grill

    Hi?
    I'd like to ask you something
    just a simple question

    are these bake,toast,grill interchangeable?

    Thanks.......

  2. #2
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19,049

    Re: bake,toast,grill

    Not at all.

    You bake something in an oven. It's a box that's heated.

    A toaster has heated elements very close to what is being toasted. You toast bread in a toaster to make toast.

    You grill by placing your food on a metal rack over heat. It can be a gas grill or a charcoal grill. You do this outside, usually, though a few fancy cook stoves have small indoor grills.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  3. #3
    sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,116

    Exclamation Re: bake,toast,grill

    Quote Originally Posted by areev View Post
    Hi?
    I'd like to ask you something
    just a simple question

    are these bake,toast,grill interchangeable?

    Thanks.......
    No, Each refers to a cooking process completely different from the other..

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,326

    Re: bake,toast,grill

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Not at all.

    You bake something in an oven. It's a box that's heated.

    A toaster has heated elements very close to what is being toasted. You toast bread in a toaster to make toast.

    You grill by placing your food on a metal rack over heat. It can be a gas grill or a charcoal grill. You do this outside, usually, though a few fancy cook stoves have small indoor grills.
    In the UK, in order to grill something, you put it under heated elements! Most British ovens have a grill element placed at the top (on the "ceiling") of the oven. Cooking something over heat, especially outside, would be considered barbecueing it.

    You can also "toast" something by putting it under the grill. If you don't have a toaster, you would make toast by putting it under the grill's heated elements.

    And (!) if you want to toast something like pine nuts, you can place them in a frying pan without oil, and put the pan over the heat (on the hob) for a little while.

    At least "to bake" seems to mean the same thing in both BrE and AmE.

  5. #5
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19,049

    Re: bake,toast,grill

    Under the heating elements would be broiling here.

    (I agree on the toasted nuts thing - it just means subjecting them to dry heat, which you can do in a frying pan on top of the stove.)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,326

    Re: bake,toast,grill

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Under the heating elements would be broiling here.

    (I agree on the toasted nuts thing - it just means subjecting them to dry heat, which you can do in a frying pan on top of the stove.)
    Aaaaaah, I always wondered what broiling was! Not just a misspelling of boiling then!

  7. #7
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19,049

    Re: bake,toast,grill

    No, our ovens usually have a small area under them with a broiling pan. It's a suitable alternative to grilling - the heat comes from one side, just like in a grill, and you flip the meat so get the heat to both sides, just like a grill. I've broiled hamburgers, fish, pork chops, the so-called "London broil" etc in my broiler.

    Also, my little toaster oven - basically a small oven that you can either heat up like an oven, or turn on the elements just on top to broil - is prefect for melting the cheese on top of a piece of bread you've already toasted.

    (So while we're on the subject, what is Welsh Rarebit?)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  8. #8
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61,326

    Re: bake,toast,grill

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    No, our ovens usually have a small area under them with a broiling pan. It's a suitable alternative to grilling - the heat comes from one side, just like in a grill, and you flip the meat so get the heat to both sides, just like a grill. I've broiled hamburgers, fish, pork chops, the so-called "London broil" etc in my broiler.

    Also, my little toaster oven - basically a small oven that you can either heat up like an oven, or turn on the elements just on top to broil - is prefect for melting the cheese on top of a piece of bread you've already toasted.

    (So while we're on the subject, what is Welsh Rarebit?)
    Aha! Thanks for the USA kitchen lesson.

    Welsh Rarebit is just (cheddar) cheese on toast! It's frequently written as "Welsh Rabbit" and I believe that name actually came first. There are variations on it, involving adding mustard or other sauces either under or with the cheddar cheese. You can turn it into Buck Rarebit (Rabbit) by adding a poached egg either on top or under the cheese.

  9. #9
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19,049

    Re: bake,toast,grill

    Wow! I've been enjoying Welsh Rabbit my whole life and never knew!!

    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •