Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi?
I'd like to ask you something
just a simple question

are these bake,toast,grill interchangeable?

Thanks.......:lol:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not at all.

You bake something in an oven. It's a box that's heated.

A toaster has heated elements very close to what is being toasted. You toast bread in a toaster to make toast.

You grill by placing your food on a metal rack over heat. It can be a gas grill or a charcoal grill. You do this outside, usually, though a few fancy cook stoves have small indoor grills.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi?
I'd like to ask you something
just a simple question

are these bake,toast,grill interchangeable?

Thanks.......:lol:

No, Each refers to a cooking process completely different from the other..

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not at all.

You bake something in an oven. It's a box that's heated.

A toaster has heated elements very close to what is being toasted. You toast bread in a toaster to make toast.

You grill by placing your food on a metal rack over heat. It can be a gas grill or a charcoal grill. You do this outside, usually, though a few fancy cook stoves have small indoor grills.

In the UK, in order to grill something, you put it under heated elements! Most British ovens have a grill element placed at the top (on the "ceiling") of the oven. Cooking something over heat, especially outside, would be considered barbecueing it.

You can also "toast" something by putting it under the grill. If you don't have a toaster, you would make toast by putting it under the grill's heated elements.

And (!) if you want to toast something like pine nuts, you can place them in a frying pan without oil, and put the pan over the heat (on the hob) for a little while.

At least "to bake" seems to mean the same thing in both BrE and AmE.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Under the heating elements would be broiling here.

(I agree on the toasted nuts thing - it just means subjecting them to dry heat, which you can do in a frying pan on top of the stove.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Under the heating elements would be broiling here.

(I agree on the toasted nuts thing - it just means subjecting them to dry heat, which you can do in a frying pan on top of the stove.)

Aaaaaah, I always wondered what broiling was! Not just a misspelling of boiling then! :-D

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, our ovens usually have a small area under them with a broiling pan. It's a suitable alternative to grilling - the heat comes from one side, just like in a grill, and you flip the meat so get the heat to both sides, just like a grill. I've broiled hamburgers, fish, pork chops, the so-called "London broil" etc in my broiler.

Also, my little toaster oven - basically a small oven that you can either heat up like an oven, or turn on the elements just on top to broil - is prefect for melting the cheese on top of a piece of bread you've already toasted.

(So while we're on the subject, what is Welsh Rarebit?)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, our ovens usually have a small area under them with a broiling pan. It's a suitable alternative to grilling - the heat comes from one side, just like in a grill, and you flip the meat so get the heat to both sides, just like a grill. I've broiled hamburgers, fish, pork chops, the so-called "London broil" etc in my broiler.

Also, my little toaster oven - basically a small oven that you can either heat up like an oven, or turn on the elements just on top to broil - is prefect for melting the cheese on top of a piece of bread you've already toasted.

(So while we're on the subject, what is Welsh Rarebit?)

Aha! Thanks for the USA kitchen lesson.

Welsh Rarebit is just (cheddar) cheese on toast! It's frequently written as "Welsh Rabbit" and I believe that name actually came first. There are variations on it, involving adding mustard or other sauces either under or with the cheddar cheese. You can turn it into Buck Rarebit (Rabbit) by adding a poached egg either on top or under the cheese.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wow! I've been enjoying Welsh Rabbit my whole life and never knew!!

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.