Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Need I help you? Yes, you ____. A. need B. may C. must D. should

The answer is C. What I'm wondering is why I can't use A. Waiting for your help. Thanks!

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Need I help you? Yes, you ____. A. need B. may C. must D. should

The answer is C. What I'm wondering is why I can't use A. Waiting for your help. Thanks!
We just don't say 'Yes, you need.'

Need I help you?
yes :tick:
Yes, you do. :tick:
Yes, you need to. :tick:

TheFuzzyTie

Member Type
English Teacher
We just don't say 'Yes, you need.'

If we just said 'Yes, you need,' the question "What?" would come up. What do you need? Need is not modifying anything, and due to the lack of the answer to 'what do you need,' 'Yes, you need' would be a sentence fragment.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Then do you think "Yes, you must." is right? Thanks again for your answers.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If we just said 'Yes, you need,' the question "What?" would come up. What do you need? That's true in some/many cases.
But in the context of the test question, what I need (to do) is clear; I need to help you.
My point is that some things are just not said in English, even when the meaning would be clear from the context.

We also don't say 'Yes, I want.' (even if the meaning would be clear)

Need is not modifying anything, and due to the lack of the answer to 'what do you need,' 'Yes, you need' would be a sentence fragment.
Just saying 'yes' would be even less, but we still say it.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Then do you think "Yes, you must." is right? Thanks again for your answers.
Yes, it is the only correct choice. "must" has the same meaning as 'need to'.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Does anyone actually say, "Need I help you?" Where is this used?
I've never heard it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've never heard it.

I was wondering the same thing! At a push "Do I need to help you?" or "Do you need help?" I could understand, but "Need I help you?" - never.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've never heard it.
It may well be the case that it's rarely (?? never??) used, and it's fair to point that out.
But there is no reason it can't be used.

(Need)(Must)(Should)(Can)(etc) I help you?

Need we say more? (of course we can :))

Last edited:

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I've never heard it.

hehe! It is used in English tests to those Chiese students who are struggling in studying English. And in many cases, what those exercise designers want only is to puzzle the examinees with unpractical grammar questions instead of improving their English.

I, though a so-called English teacher in my country,am always suffering the mental pain of not being able to speak good English. We do not have a satisfactory language environment. And because of the feature of my job, I have to devote most of my efforts to endlessly explaining the boring and stupid grammar points(most of the time, it is really unpractical) to my students,:-( because for many of them the only purpose of learing English is to pass the exam.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
hehe! It is used in English tests to those Chiese students who are struggling in studying English. And in many cases, what those exercise designers want only is to puzzle the examinees with unpractical grammar questions instead of improving their English.

I, though a so-called English teacher in my country,am always suffering the mental pain of not being able to speak good English. We do not have a satisfactory language environment. And because of the feature of my job, I have to devote most of my efforts to endlessly explaining the boring and stupid grammar points(most of the time, it is really unpractical) to my students,:-( because for many of them the only purpose of learing English is to pass the exam.
Yes, this is sad. Other teachers of Chinese students have made the same point. But every teacher has at least one or two students in the class who want to learn, so I guess that makes it a bit worth while.

Status
Not open for further replies.