new english teacher - please help

Hi!
    I am travelling to China soon and will hopefully be teaching basic English to children aged 8 - 12 as part of a volunteering scheme. I have never taught English as a foreign language before and I am looking for some advice on first lessons...lesson plans / ideas etc. I shall be there for seven weeks and the children are complete novices and have very little / no understanding of the language. I would like to keep lesson plans as interactive and creative as possible. It would also be useful to know how much can be expected of the children in such a short space of time so that I can have a goal in mind whilst teaching.
    Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: new english teacher - please help

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfer View Post
    Hi!
    I am travelling to China soon and will hopefully be teaching basic English to children aged 8 - 12 as part of a volunteering scheme. I have never taught English as a foreign language before and I am looking for some advice on first lessons...lesson plans / ideas etc. I shall be there for seven weeks and the children are complete novices and have very little / no understanding of the language. I would like to keep lesson plans as interactive and creative as possible. It would also be useful to know how much can be expected of the children in such a short space of time so that I can have a goal in mind whilst teaching.
    Thank you!
    You might want to post this in the "Teaching English" section, where teachers can help each other out! Good luck, too!