[Vocabulary] DOUBT !

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Saiy

Is there any word for "nonsense confidence" or "worthless confidence"..or something similar to that ?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is there any word for "nonsense confidence" or "worthless confidence"..or something similar to that ?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning, Saiy.

(1) I cannot think of such a word at this minute.

(2) What does come quickly to mind is a slang term or expression:

TOM: I don't need an education. I am going to win the lottery and be rich for life.

SUE: No way! You are only KIDDING/FOOLING yourself.

Have a nice day!

I found this word in the dictionary: Don't DELUDE yourself! You are not going to win the lottery/ marry that beautiful model/ be elected president.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Foolish confidence?

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Bravado - /brǝ'va:dǝʊ/

b

Doesn't that mean "behaviour that is deliberately intended to make other people believe you are brave and confident"?
Does this imply the same as saying that someone has too much confidence when they shouldn't?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Doesn't that mean "behaviour that is deliberately intended to make other people believe you are brave and confident"?
Does this imply the same as saying that someone has too much confidence when they shouldn't?

No. I was just suggesting a synonym for 'worthless confidence'. You're right about what it means, but a show of bravado involves a display of confidence that is unfounded (and that might be called 'worthless' - although it may in fact have value, by creating an impression of bravery).

b

Status
Not open for further replies.