[Vocabulary] Are these words used correctly in this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intershift

Member Type
Student or Learner
Jordan's imprudent and ineffable debauchery without being contrite caused an onerous strain on his wallet which led to his inexorable debacle.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, pardon me for saying so, but it sound ridiculous unless you are entering a contest for the greatest use of fluffy words.

I think ineffable is too strong, and I don't see how inexorable can apply to a debacle, but debacle isn't the right word either. The strain on his wallet didn't lead to a debacle. You could describe the public response to his debauchery without contrition as a debacle.

intershift

Member Type
Student or Learner
LOL, barb I'm just trying to incorporate a couple of new vocab words I'm learning into a sentence so I can get some practice.

Is this OK if I inquire some help here? Or pardon me if I'm posting on the wrong forum.

leonwool

Member Type
Student or Learner
This all seems to be correct. The sentence has clauses, which may hay caused you some problems. Since you haven't said anything about what has confused you in this sentence it is difficult to say more. It would be more interesting for me if you wrote something about how you understood it and the problems you had with it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okay - maybe we could have some fun writing simple sentences in "normal" English and ask people to rewrite them based on the vocabulary they've learned.

The more "high-fallutin'" words used, the better.

You look nice = Your visage is exemplary of pulchritude. Should I start a thread like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.