Smile Would you say this differently depending on what you meant?

Hey everyone, just a quick question, I would really appreciate your opinions please.

Imagine you had just finished a Maths lesson. You have an opinion of the lesson which you say to your friend...

...either you are satisfied: “We learnt so much more in that lesson. I definitely know about the distance-time graphs now, hehe.”

...or dissatisfied: “We learnt so much less in that lesson. I definitely know about the distance-time graphs now, hehe.”

Notice how the final statement “I definitely know about the distance-time graphs now, hehe” is exactly the same for both the satisfied and dissatisfied opinions.

Presumably the final statement would have to be meant in a displeased/sarcastic way in order to make sense as a part of the dissatisfied opinion - as if the speaker actually means ‘Well at the very least I definitely know about the distance-time graphs now, hehe.’ Would you agree or not?

Do you think, in order to make sense in both versions, the final statement would be said in a different way in the dissatisfied opinion compared to how it would be said in the satisfied opinion? By this I mean a different tone of voice or other indicators such as rolling eyes, shaking head, etc. Would you personally say the final statement in a different way depending on which opinion you were speaking?

Thank you very much for your help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Would you say this differently depending on what you meant?

As I think I posted (or if I didn't, I meant to) on one of your previous, very similar threads, it's really difficult to try to convey a spoken meaning in writing. Usually, when people are being sarcastic they do something like rolling their eyes, unless they have a particularly dry sense of humour when they would probably say everything in exactly the same tone of voice and it's up to the listener to try to decide how they meant it.

I have to ask one thing. On your mini-profile, it says your native language is English so I'm curious to know why you have so many questions on a site generally aimed at people who are learning English! No offence intended!