• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

senator the ballet (or ballet senator?)

"My friends," (my citizens) began the senator, in a grave voice, "this is a most impressive and important occasion." (This is a big day)

Then he paused, balanced himself upon his left foot, and kicked his right leg into the air in the way favored by ballet-dancers!

There was a hum of amazement and horror from the spectators, but the senator appeared not to notice it. He whirled around upon the tips of his toes, kicked right and left in a graceful manner, and startled a bald-headed man in the front row by casting a languishing glance in his direction.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: senator the ballet (or ballet senator?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
    "My friends," (my citizens) began the senator, in a grave voice, "this is a most impressive and important occasion." (This is a big day)
    "Fellow citizens" is a phrase a senator would use.
    Yes, it's a big day. But what's the question? Are you asking whether the red phrase means the same as the purple one? If so, well, no it doesn't.

Then he paused, balanced himself upon his left foot, and kicked his right leg into the air in the way favored by ballet-dancers!

There was a hum of amazement and horror from the spectators, but the senator appeared not to notice it. He whirled around upon the tips of his toes, kicked right and left in a graceful manner, and startled a bald-headed man in the front row by casting a languishing glance in his direction.
    The senator startled [verb: startle] a man with a bald head who was in the first row. The senator did this [startled the man] by glancing at him (or in his direction) with a languishing [adj. from languish] look.
    R.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

but what is a languishing look, a faint look? and why the man startled? he fears that senator is about to pass out (over himself/or only worries for him)?
    Last edited by Tinkerbell; 02-May-2010 at 06:51.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
    but what is a languishing look, a faint look? and why the man startled? he fears that senator is about to pass out (over himself/or only worries for him)?
    "A languishing glance" is often cast by the lovelorn at their often unknowing beloved. This would be enough to startle the bald man.
    (Don't ask me to explain this senator's behaviour!)