Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I want to write a request to my manager to purchase new office chairs. Please see below.

Sir,

As you know that we have lack of office chairs in our office for our staff. Therefore, I would like to request you to approve to purchase 10 nos. of office revolving chairs for our staff.

Please find attached a quotation from ….for the supply of new office chairs.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
we have lack of office chairs

Why not just say:
We do not have enough office chairs

revolving chair - swivel chair

not a teacher

aziz abd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
I think expressions such as as you know or as mentioned earlier or as stated in the previous reports (or letters) is not appreciated by some managers who would read it some other ways.;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I want to write a request to my manager to purchase new office chairs. Please see below.

Sir,

As you know that we have lack of office chairs in our office for our staff. Therefore, I would like to request you to approve to purchase 10 nos. of office revolving chairs for our staff.

Please find attached a quotation from ….for the supply of new office chairs.

Dear Sir

I attach a quote for the supply of 10 new revolving office chairs.

I would be very grateful if you would authorise the purchase at your earliest convenience.

Yours faithfully

Note: I don't think that you necessarily need to go into the reasons for the purchase. Presumably, your manager was already aware that you didn't have enough chairs and had agreed that you should get quotes for buying new ones. Generally, these letters are better, the shorter they are

However, if you do wish to include the reasons:

"...we have a lack of..." suggests that you don't have any chairs at all. I would say "...we have insufficient chairs...."

A previous poster said that "As you know....." is not necessarily a good thing to put in letters to a manager. I don't necessarily agree. If you have already discussed the matter with someone, I think it's a nice little reminder! Some managers are very good at conveniently forgetting discussions so if you include "As you know / as you are aware / as we discussed last week...." it serves to remind them that you have already talked about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.