Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear all,
When you hear the word "an album", what do you think of first?I learned an album normally means "a phto album" back in school, but later I realized it also means "a recorded album" and that this seems more popular.Also, is there any British/American differences in term of the use of this word?

Thank you!
OP

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear all,When you hear the word "an album", what do you think of first?I learned an album normally means "a phto album" back in school, but later I realized it also means "a recorded album" and that this seems more popular.Also, is there any British/American differences in term of the use of this word?Thank you!OP

To me, my immediate reaction would be the musical kind - either on vinyl or on CD.

If someone meant a photo album, I would expect them to specify that.

leonwool

Member Type
Student or Learner
An album is a collection of things. The things are put into an album for display or to listen to. For me all these albums that you mention are the same album that I learnt as a kid. I had a stamp album, a photo album some recorded music albums ....

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I heard "an album" without any context at all, my first thought would be of the musical kind.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear all,When you hear the word "an album", what do you think of first?I learned an album normally means "a phto album" back in school, but later I realized it also means "a recorded album" and that this seems more popular.Also, is there any British/American differences in term of the use of this word?Thank you!OP
These days, I'd think of music. Forty years ago, I'd think of a stamp album or photo album.
Another related term that has changed in that time is "artist", which, forty years ago, almost invariably meant a painter. What we now call an artist was called a singer back then.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
These days, I'd think of music. Forty years ago, I'd think of a stamp album or photo album...

:up: The idea of its referring to the collection (of musical tracks) rather than the receptacle that holds the collection struck me as odd at first. I knew (even at the tender age when I collected stamps) that an album's were white (Latin albus -a -um)). As an altar boy, I knew that a priest's white robe was called an 'alb'.

Come to think of it, I wonder if the Beatles' White Album was some closet Classicist's quiet joke ;-)

b

PS Your words 'central meaning' are strange ... perhaps 'fluid' would be more what I mean. As you've seen from the answers, a meaning that's 'central' to one person is less central to another; it's not a question of who's 'right'. And even with one person, different sorts of meaning become more and less central, depending on that person's environment.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PPS I hope I didn't give the impression that the Latin root should somehow set the meaning in stone; it's just interesting (to a few of us ;-))

b

Status
Not open for further replies.