Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    343

    "Wonder" and "Wondered"

    Hi Teachers,

    I'd like to know how to use "Wondered" properly, as most of dictionaries only show "wonder" (verb) without "ed", but sometimes I watch the movies/TV shows with subtitles, they will use "wondered"...please tell how I can use "wondered" correctly? Thanks.

    W

  2. #2
    sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,116

    Exclamation Re: "Wonder" and "Wondered"

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi Teachers,

    I'd like to know how to use "Wondered" properly, as most of dictionaries only show "wonder" (verb) without "ed", but sometimes I watch the movies/TV shows with subtitles, they will use "wondered"...please tell how I can use "wondered" correctly? Thanks.

    W
    Yes it is a verb and ‘wondered’ is its past form. The common use of past form, is to express a feeling of curiosity or doubt about something; as:

    Have you ever wondered what your subconscious mind looks like?
    Have you ever wondered why young people take to music like fish to water?
    I just wondered how to spend time in a secluded place alone for hours.
    I wondered how people would take me being a country music singer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    343

    Re: "Wonder" and "Wondered"

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    Yes it is a verb and ‘wondered’ is its past form. The common use of past form, is to express a feeling of curiosity or doubt about something; as:

    Have you ever wondered what your subconscious mind looks like?
    Have you ever wondered why young people take to music like fish to water?
    I just wondered how to spend time in a secluded place alone for hours.
    I wondered how people would take me being a country music singer.
    How do you explain the following sentences, the verb of "wonder" wouldn't change to past form?

    e.g. I wonder if you could do me a favor.

    e.g. I was wondering if you could give me some water.


    Can I say that "I wondered if you could do me a favor."??

  4. #4
    tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,108

    Re: "Wonder" and "Wondered"

    "I wondered if you could do me a favor"??
    This is correct but sounds unnatural. It is not meant to be a question. It is usually followed by a question.

    I was wondering if you can do me a favour.
    This sounds better and more polite.

    not a teacher

  5. #5
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: "Wonder" and "Wondered"

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi Teachers,

    I'd like to know how to use "Wondered" properly, as most of dictionaries only show "wonder" (verb) without "ed", but sometimes I watch the movies/TV shows with subtitles, they will use "wondered"...please tell how I can use "wondered" correctly? Thanks.

    W
    Dictionaries typically don't give definitions for past tenses or past participles where the meaning is obvious from the base verb. What you're asking is a question of grammar.

    "Wonder" is not special. There are other verbs which can be used this way.

    I think/hope you can help me.
    I thought/hoped you might be able to help me.
    I was thinking/hoping you might be able to help me.

    You might be able to think of other verbs that work this way.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    343

    Re: "Wonder" and "Wondered"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Dictionaries typically don't give definitions for past tenses or past participles where the meaning is obvious from the base verb. What you're asking is a question of grammar.

    "Wonder" is not special. There are other verbs which can be used this way.

    I think/hope you can help me.
    I thought/hoped you might be able to help me.
    I was thinking/hoping you might be able to help me.

    You might be able to think of other verbs that work this way.
    Hi Raymott, I thought "wonder" was a special word, it won't have past tense all the time, that's why I curiously asked this question. After your explanation, it means "wonder" can be treated as a normal verb form and can be changed the form when it is necessary, right?

  7. #7
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: "Wonder" and "Wondered"

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi Raymott, I thought "wonder" was a special word, it won't have past tense all the time, that's why I curiously asked this question. After your explanation, it means "wonder" can be treated as a normal verb form and can be changed the form when it is necessary, right?
    Yes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    343

    Re: "Wonder" and "Wondered"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes.
    I want to know which one is correct? Tks

    e.g. I was wondering if you could help me.

    e.g. I was wondering if you can help me.

  9. #9
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: "Wonder" and "Wondered"

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    I want to know which one is correct? Tks

    e.g. I was wondering if you could help me.

    e.g. I was wondering if you can help me.
    The first is more common simply because of the consistency of tenses.
    1. I am wondering if you can help.
    2. I was wondering if you could help me.
    The second is only for politeness. It doesn't refer to the past. It's similar to the use of will/would.
    3. I am wondering if you will help me.
    4. I was wondering if you would help me.

    Whichever you choose to say, the hearer will understand that you are asking for help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •