Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If I use the term 'rest room' or 'restroom' to refer to a room for people to sit and take a rest besides answering the nature's call, will it be confused in a way with American English for toilet?

Or, there should be a different phrase like 'rest lounge' that would be more commonly used?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I use the term 'rest room' or 'restroom' to refer to a room for people to sit and take a rest besides answering the nature's call, will it be confused in a way with American English for toilet?

Or, there should be a different phrase like 'rest lounge' that would be more commonly used?

Thank you.

I guess it depends on your audience. Every office I worked in in the UK had a "rest room" and it was exactly that - a room where you could go for 5 minutes to get away from the busy office. I don't recall anyone ever being confused by the American usage of the term "restroom".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It wouldn't work in the U.S. at all.

If you told me that someone spend a few minutes in the rest room and returned feeling refreshed, I would assume you were talking about the toilet (and giving me more information than I really wanted to know).

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thank you.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good afternoon, jiaruchan.

(1) This is a very delicate matter.

(2) In the United States, many (most?) refined people do not usually say,

"Where's the toilet?"

(3) People ask in more gentle ways:

(a) Where is the restroom?

(b) Where is the bathroom?

(c) Where may I wash my hands?

(d) Ladies (not men) can ask: Where's the powder room?

(e) Some people are a tiny bit naughty. They will ask: Where's the reading room?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.