Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A Shanghai English media outlet reported that about 140,000 people attended the Shanghai Expo today.

Here it evidently means they visited it.

Can 'attend' be used in this case to simply mean 'visit'?
The reason I bring this up is: my understanding of attending an expo is to set up a booth something rather than be a guest or visitor. Am I correct?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A Shanghai English media outlet reported that about 140,000 people attended the Shanghai Expo today.

Here it evidently means they visited it.

Can 'attend' be used in this case to simply mean 'visit'?
The reason I bring this up is: my understanding of attending an expo is to set up a booth something rather than be a guest or visitor. Am I correct?

Thank you.

"Attend" can simply mean to visit/go/be present at.

I attended school in London = I went to school in London/I was a student at a school in London.

Tom Cruise attended the premiere of his latest film = he went to the premiere, whether as a special guest or simply to watch it.

My boss attended 6 meetings yesterday = he went to/took part in 6 meetings.

My friend attended the opening of a new art gallery = s/he was a guest at the opening.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
An Expo(exposition) is an exhibition on a big scale. Visitors go around viewing the exhibits, like you do in an art gallery, just that the exhibits at the Expo are much bigger. You say you visit an art gallery. You don't say you 'attend' an art gallery, do you?

P.S.
OK, it depends on how you look at it. You attend an event. So if the Expo is considered an event, you can say you attended it. If it is considered an exhibition, you say you visited it.

Last edited:

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
An Expo(exposition) is an exhibition on a big scale. Visitors go around viewing the exhibits, like you do in an art gallery, just that the exhibits at the Expo are much bigger. You say you visit an art gallery. You don't say you 'attend' an art gallery, do you?

I tend to agree with you on this point.

I hear 'attend a concert or meeting'.

The point is whether native speakers do say 'attend an expo' to mean 'visit an expo'. It is doubtless we can say a vendor attends an expo, but here 'attend ' does not mean 'visit', for it probably means the vendor sets up a booth and tries to sell something by being part of the expo.

Status
Not open for further replies.