Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Dear teachers / instructors

I'd like to ask a question I've been putting off for many years simply because there was no person around me who would explain it to the extent of my satisfaction. I'm really glad to have found this site because now I can ask this question. (as well as many others I have in my arsenal, but those come later)

Could you tell me what you know about signing off a letter? I've had written several formal and many informal letters in English, and everytime I did so without much knowledge to the format or the proper usage.

I usually use Sincerely, and Regards, in formal letters. Yet I don't have much idea what they mean or imply. Well I know what the words mean when used in sentences, like "Send my best regards to your mom" or "I appreicate your sincere intent to help us". I just shuffle between the two without thinking much when writing a letter, because all I know is that they're used at the end of letters, just before the sender's name. Are there any differences, and if so when and why should I choose one over the other?

For informal letters, I just improvise and use commom greetings such as God bless or take care. These are OK aren't they?

I know there are other ways of signing off, such as Yours Sincerely, Yours Faithfully, Sincerely Yours, Respectfully Yours, Best Regards, Kind Regards, Warm Regards, Best Wishes and Cheers. I bet there are quite a bit more than the mentioned. The problem is I don't know when you use them, especially ones with 'yours'. Why 'Yours'? Sounds like something I'd use only to my lover. (not that I have one :-( )

Would you be kind enough to tell me the available means of signing off a letter, and when and how to use them?

My most sincere gratitude goes to you.

Sincerely,

HaraKiriBlade

Last edited:

HaraKiriBlade

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is the first time my question went unanswered for this long. Perhaps I wrote it too long? I wanted to ask about signing off letters so I thought I would write the question as if I'm writing a letter to you, and it ended up being a bit too elaborate. Maybe I should re-post the question in brief form?

kjherstin

Member Type
Other
I really like to be original when I sign off letters and was hoping to seek help from someone here. I don't know if there are any set rules as how to do it but normally I just use the common boring ones when formal and let my imagination get the better of me when I can right a casual letter. I share the same problem as HaraKiriBlade and I would like to know the best way to sign off a formal letter

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Formal letters:

If recipient is not known to you [Dear Sir or Madam], Yours faithfully

If recipient is known to you [Dear Mr/Ms XXXX], Yours sincerely.

If you know the recipient well, you can be less formal and use shortened forms such as "Best wishes", "Regards", and so on.

HaraKiriBlade

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
For once I thought 'I don't remember writing this' and realized this was one of my very first posts I wrote. How come this went unanswered for nearly three years? :shock: not that it matters, now that I'm quite comfortable with different forms of letter sign-offs.

I find that 'regards' is a good median: not overly formal and yet isn't rude by most standards. 'cheers' if I want to be less formal, but I guess it's all a matter of personal tastes.

- HKB

nice

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi! I just want to share you some commonly used closing remarks.

For formal letter or business letter.
It is more proper to end the letter by writing: Very truly yours, (it’s my boss favorite) also Respectfully yours

For non-formal letters, like letter for friends, etc.
You can use anything you are comfortable with in signing off. Like what Angelika’s posted here. Please refer to her post.

In addition to that, here are some new closing remarks:
Blessed be, Hugs & kisses, Much love, Faithfully yours, Best personal regards, Count me in. Remains, Still remains, Constantly yours

My friends and I are using “mwuaah” (it’s a sound of a kiss or flying kiss) as our closing remarks. Very unique huh! :lol:

Batfink

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
China
Hi! I just want to share you some commonly used closing remarks.

For formal letter or business letter.
It is more proper to end the letter by writing: Very truly yours, (it’s my boss favorite) also Respectfully yours

For non-formal letters, like letter for friends, etc.
You can use anything you are comfortable with in signing off. Like what Angelika’s posted here. Please refer to her post.

In addition to that, here are some new closing remarks:
Blessed be, Hugs & kisses, Much love, Faithfully yours, Best personal regards, Count me in. Remains, Still remains, Constantly yours

My friends and I are using “mwuaah” (it’s a sound of a kiss or flying kiss) as our closing remarks. Very unique huh! :lol:

I always thought "mwah" was the sound of a baby crying.

Thank heavens for grammar points of reference.

nice

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I always thought "mwah" was the sound of a baby crying.

Thank heavens for grammar points of reference.

I can't imagine it sounds like a baby crying, just now i realize that yes it almost sound like that . However, if you write "mwuah" just very short it will sounds like a flying kiss but if you write "mwuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" then that will sounds like baby's crying. Great point Batfink!:cool:

mariamanas

Member Type
Student or Learner
hello, I would really appreciate if someone can help me ,writting a letter to the home office asking to change the name of a person on a cheque to an another name as the name of the person on the cheque do not have a bank account thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.