[Vocabulary] Vocabulary questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ping0303

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello!
I want to ask that when I write an essay ,if I must to use some harder vocabulary?
For example, is this sentence:"I am delighted that you are here. " better than :"I am happy that you are here."?
I want to know if I use some harder vocabulary , will raise the level of my essay, or not.

Sorry, I don't know if my expression can let you really understand what I want to ask.But I really need your help.Thanks.:)

ping0303

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you for your answer.

Could I ask you if this sentence:
"I am extremely pleased that you could come."
I change the two words
"I am very happy that you could come."

Do others will think the first one is better,or actually it's no difference?
Thanks a lot.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Thank you for your answer.

Could I ask you if this sentence:
"I am extremely pleased that you could come."
I change the two words
"I am very happy that you could come."

Do others will think the first one is better,or actually it's no difference?
Thanks a lot.

It depends on the culture too.
Westerners generally tend to exaggerate a bit in their language. They like to use words like extremely, absolutely, awesome, marvellous, etc. And 'a bit' may mean 'a lot'!
Asians, on the other hand, are more modest and restrained and are not used to using such words. Chances are, they are more moderate in their description of things.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello!
I want to ask that when I write an essay ,if I must to use some harder vocabulary?
For example, is this sentence:"I am delighted that you are here. " better than :"I am happy that you are here."?
I want to know if I use some harder vocabulary , will raise the level of my essay, or not.

Sorry, I don't know if my expression can let you really understand what I want to ask.But I really need your help.Thanks.:)
Using correct, specific vocabulary will get you higher marks. These may be more difficult because they are likely to be different from the general basic vocabulary that you learn.

You don't have to use words just because they are 'harder'.

Status
Not open for further replies.