[Vocabulary] business english voc

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiley21

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi everyone,
I would need an explanation regadring an expression. It is connected with some conference material.
What does ' granting of discharge to the member' mean?
I was trying to look it up in various dicts without much success:-(

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you give even more context? The entire sentence? Maybe the entire paragraph?

As it is, I can't understand it either.

smiley21

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi,
Unfortunately I cannot provide more details as this expression stands on its own in a conference agenda. I have looked up grant and discharge on their own in dictionaries but when using both in the same expression I haven't found anything:-?

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
I’m not a teacher.

Hi smiley21,

The Board of Directors proposed that discharge be granted to the members of the Board of Directors and the Group Executive Board for the financial year 2005.

One shareholder raises his voice against granting discharge to the members of the Board of Directors and the Group Executive Board.

grant = to permit. Also: To give

discharge = payment of a claim

Regards,

V.

Last edited:

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I’m not a teacher.

Hi smiley21,

The Board of Directors proposed that discharge be granted to the members of the Board of Directors and the Group Executive Board for the financial year 2005.

One shareholder raises his voice against granting discharge to the members of the Board of Directors and the Group Executive Board.

grant = to permit. Also: To give

discharge = payment of a claim

Regards,

V.

This is a text copied from the web using the term ‘granting disharge’
The Budgetary Control Committee proposes granting discharge to all other institutions, but MEPs will put forward recommendations to improve accountability and efficiency of EU spending when they vote in May.

The use of the term does not seem to be applied in the sense of permitting any payment.

A ‘charge’ is a liability. So, I think ‘discharge’ means a getting rid of obligation or liability. Granting a discharge = permitting to be relieved of liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.