Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 17
    #1

    plural form of underwear

    Hi all,
    What is the plural form of underwear?


    Thanks in advance

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 290
    #2

    Re: plural form of underwear

    Hi indian123,

    Zero plural = underware (singular) / underware (plural).

    Regards,

    José Manuel Rosón Bravo

  1. #3

    Re: plural form of underwear

    You can wear alot of underwear. You can put on some underwear.
    You can drink allot of milk. You can drink some milk.

    Here is an explanation of countable nouns
    Counting in English Grammar

  2. #4

    Re: plural form of underwear

    You can put on SOME underwear.
    You can drink SOME milk.

    These are uncountable nouns. Here is a good explanation I found.
    Counting in English Grammar

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 3,110
    #5

    Re: plural form of underwear

    Isn't crazy to treat underware as uncountabe noun? So how about bra? what do you say if you want to buy "one" underware ?

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #6

    Re: plural form of underwear

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    Isn't crazy to treat underware as uncountabe noun? So how about bra? what do you say if you want to buy "one" underware ?
    The word "underwear" is uncountable. You can of course count different types of underwear, one bra(ssiere), two bras (brassieres) etc.

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,832
    #7

    Re: plural form of underwear

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    Isn't crazy to treat underware as uncountabe noun? So how about bra? what do you say if you want to buy "one" underware ?
    Please note spelling of underWEAR (not underWARE). Underwear is more like a collective noun - it refers to all kinds of undergarments - bras, knickers, pants, boxer shorts, vests etc. That is why we say "I'm going to buy some underwear" - we are being unspecific. If I go to buy underwear, I might come home with 2 bras, 3 pairs of knickers and one vest. I have still bought "underwear". It's uncountable.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 3,110
    #8

    Re: plural form of underwear

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Please note spelling of underWEAR (not underWARE). Underwear is more like a collective noun - it refers to all kinds of undergarments - bras, knickers, pants, boxer shorts, vests etc. That is why we say "I'm going to buy some underwear" - we are being unspecific. If I go to buy underwear, I might come home with 2 bras, 3 pairs of knickers and one vest. I have still bought "underwear". It's uncountable.
    Sorry, it's my bad spelling.

    I would like to buy just one of this
    http://uneasysilence.com/media/2007/...erwear-rug.jpg
    what can I tell the seller?

    Thanks.

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #9

    Re: plural form of underwear

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    Sorry, it's my bad spelling.

    I would like to buy just one of this
    http://uneasysilence.com/media/2007/...erwear-rug.jpg
    what can I tell the seller?

    Thanks.
    A pair of underpants.

Similar Threads

  1. Plural form of abbreviations
    By nyggus in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Jan-2006, 07:50
  2. Plural Form
    By JohnFleabass in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Nov-2005, 05:31
  3. Need advice on the use of Plural form, thanks teachers!
    By Help Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2005, 04:58
  4. plural form
    By raj_asiatic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Mar-2005, 15:32
  5. plural form
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2003, 08:57

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •