Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, I've recently cross across some exercises on preposition which confused me a lot, would appreciate any help.

1. She spoke _____ (in,with) broken sentences.

Both looks passable for me but the key is "in" somehow.

2. _____ (Through, Out of) his genius, Anderson changed every early experience into a fairy tale.

"Out of" means "because of" so I chose this naturally, but the key is the other way around. Any idea please.

3. _____ (For, to) me, happiness means continuously creating values for others ______ (by, through) my own honest, productive work.

Key: To, through; I've no idea what the differences are between these words in this context. Some help please.

4. _____(For, to) the donor's parents, seeing the person who had gained life _____ (from, through) the gift of their son's liver and knowing he was well seemed to ease their suffering.

Key: For, through; "For" and "To" now totally confuse me, also I might think both "from" and "through" work in the second blank however only "through" is the right answer.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, I've recently cross across some exercises on preposition which confused me a lot, would appreciate any help.

1. She spoke _____ (in,with) broken sentences.
Both looks passable for me but the key is "in" somehow.

She spoke in English; She spoke in a whisper; She spoke in riddles.
She spoke with a lisp, with a stutter.

2. _____ (Through, Out of) his genius, Anderson changed every early experience into a fairy tale.
"Out of" means "because of" so I chose this naturally, but the key is the other way around. Any idea please.
Through means "by way of".
He came home through the forest = He came home by way of the forest.
Through his genius ... = By way of his genius ...
Anderson did not change early experiences because of his genius.

3. _____ (For, to) me, happiness means continuously creating values for others ______ (by, through) my own honest, productive work.
Key: To, through; I've no idea what the differences are between these words in this context. Some help please.
If the first, you can use either. But I think 'to' is better.
In the second, you can also use either.

4. _____(For, to) the donor's parents, seeing the person who had gained life _____ (from, through) the gift of their son's liver and knowing he was well seemed to ease their suffering.

Key: For, through; "For" and "To" now totally confuse me, also I might think both "from" and "through" work in the second blank however only "through" is the right answer.
'For' is better. Seeing the person ... eased the suffering for the parents.
'Through' is better for the second, but 'from' also works.
As usual, there are several correct answers for some of them.

Rainsanctum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks very much for the fast and detailed answer, really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.