Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear Teachers,

I read this from 29 Gifts by Cami Walker:

"He's really hustling to get his voice-acting career rolling in L. A. It'll get even more intense soon when he starts auditioning for on-camera television commercials to all his voiceover work."

What is a "on-camera" television commercial?:-?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear Teachers,

"He's really hustling to get his voice-acting career rolling in L. A. It'll get even more intense soon when he starts auditioning for on-camera television commercials to all his voiceover work."

It's one where this man gets his face on TV - as opposed to "voice-acting" or "voice-over work" where it is only his voice that is being used.

Eway

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It's one where this man gets his face on TV - as opposed to "voice-acting" or "voice-over work" where it is only his voice that is being used.

Does this mean he is actually auditioning for an acting job instead of a voiceover job?:-?

TheFuzzyTie

Member Type
English Teacher
Dear Teachers,

He will not be physically being filmed by a camera--I believe that what they mean is, to use another phrase, "on-air"--his voice will be being used for real performances shown to a real audience, rather than, say, performing as voice acts at theaters and such.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
He will not be physically being filmed by a camera--I believe that what they mean is, to use another phrase, "on-air"--his voice will be being used for real performances shown to a real audience, rather than, say, performing as voice acts at theaters and such.
Yes, it's possible it's supposed to mean that.
" ... he starts auditioning for voice-over work for live television commercials." It's a strange way of saying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.