• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

a serious problem

Recently, I have a lot of homework to speach on the stage. I discover that I was easy to be nervous, so I can not talk clearly. This thing make me lose confidence, I do not know how to save it ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: a serious problem

Almost everybody is nervous when they have to speak in public. If you can practise in the room before you speak, it might help- get a friend to sit at the back and say if they can hear you clearly. Don't speak too fast- people can go very fast when they're nervous. It's usually better to prepare your ideas rather than writing a script with every word. Don't read from a text- it never works.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Almost everybody is nervous when they have to speak in public. If you can practise in the room before you speak, it might help- get a friend to sit at the back and say if they can hear you clearly. Don't speak too fast- people can go very fast when they're nervous. It's usually better to prepare your ideas rather than writing a script with every word. Don't read from a text- it never works.

Thank you for your advice. I will follow it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Breathe!! Take a few deep, steadying breaths before you go onto the stage to speak. Make sure that your speech has natural breaks where you can breathe. Don't make your sentences too long. You can take a short breath almost every time there is a comma in your speech.

I agree with the other poster. Have the main points of your speech on small note cards but don't write your entire speech out in full and then read from it.

And practice!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Smile Re: a serious problem

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Breathe!! Take a few deep, steadying breaths before you go onto the stage to speak. Make sure that your speech has natural breaks where you can breathe. Don't make your sentences too long. You can take a short breath almost every time there is a comma in your speech.

I agree with the other poster. Have the main points of your speech on small note cards but don't write your entire speech out in full and then read from it.

And practice!!

Every time when I go onto the stage, I will become a stammerer. No matter how hard I try to praCtice, it still a problem. Maybe I need to do more practice. Thank you for your suggestion. Next time, I will make my sentences short when I stand on the stage. Hope the nervousness will go away.