Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

Would you please tell me if there is a difference in meaning between the two phrases 'in someone's life' and 'in someone's lifetime'.

For example, assume that Alex is an artist, and he is alive now, do we say 'he has drawn many beautiful pictures in his life' or 'in his lifetime'?

yuriya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Dear teachers,

Would you please tell me if there is a difference in meaning between the two phrases 'in someone's life' and 'in someone's lifetime'.

For example, assume that Alex is an artist, and he is alive now, do we say 'he has drawn many beautiful pictures in his life' or 'in his lifetime'?

These sound better to me:

He drew/left many beautiful pictures in his lifetime.
He has drawn many beautiful pictures (in his life).
He will draw many beautiful pictures in his lifetime.

Let's wait for some definitive answers.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Life is noun meaning state of being alive.
Lifetime is also noun which denotes:the time that the life of someone continues.
So it depends on the application whether you want to refer to the time when someone is alive or a time after his death. See the following examples:
Although he lived in Paris much of his life he was constantly traveling.(a description after his death)
I am now missing her in my life. (a description when living)
Obama predicts Mars landing in his lifetime (when he is alive)
Hitler dated 3 women in his lifetime (a description after his death)

In the above example:
He has drawn many beautiful pictures in his life and he is still active to draw many more.
He has drawn many beautiful pictures in his lifetime.( normally refers to the time when he was alive)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.