Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: as I

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    212

    as I

    Dear Friends,

    Which of the following is correct:

    1. He learnt in the same school as I.
    2. He learnt in the same school as I did.
    3. He learnt in the same school as me.

    I guess only the third is incorrect.

    What do you think?

    Palinkasocsi

  2. #2
    Nightmare85's Avatar
    Nightmare85 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,327

    Re: as I

    **Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.**

    Hello,
    I'm very sure #1 and #2 are correct.
    About #3: I have the feeling a lot of persons would use it, but I also think it's incorrect.

    Cheers!

  3. #3
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: as I

    Quote Originally Posted by palinkasocsi View Post
    Dear Friends,

    Which of the following is correct:

    1. He learnt in the same school as I.
    2. He learnt in the same school as I did.
    3. He learnt in the same school as me.

    I guess only the third is incorrect.

    What do you think?

    Palinkasocsi
    The first two are correct in Traditional Grammar.
    The third is what most people, including me, often say.

  4. #4
    TheParser is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,742

    Re: as I

    Quote Originally Posted by palinkasocsi View Post
    Dear Friends,

    Which of the following is correct:

    1. He learnt in the same school as I.
    2. He learnt in the same school as I did.
    3. He learnt in the same school as me.

    I guess only the third is incorrect.

    What do you think?

    Palinkasocsi
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    Good morning, Palinkasocsi.

    (1) I strongly feel that most Americans would be more comfortable

    in saying that "He STUDIED at the same school."

    I believe that "learned" is not really the "correct" word for this

    sentence.

    (2) I feel that "He learned at the same school" sounds very strange to

    native speakers.

    (3) A few weeks ago, a teacher explained the difference between "study" and "learn." I do not know how to link to it. Maybe someone else will do it.

    Have a nice day!

  5. #5
    stanislaw.masny is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    108,552

    Re: as I

    We study in order to learn.Studying is a process, while learning is the outcome.
    Am I right?
    E.g.: I have studied a lot last year, but I am not sure whether I learned enough to take the exam.

  6. #6
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: as I

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    Good morning, Palinkasocsi.

    (1) I strongly feel that most Americans would be more comfortable

    in saying that "He STUDIED at the same school."
    Well, sure, I'd never say that particular sentence either. But that wasn't the point. The question is 'as I' or 'as me'.

    He went to the same school as I.
    He went to same school as me.

    Is that better?

  7. #7
    Elemoi is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    62

    Re: as I

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Well, sure, I'd never say that particular sentence either. But that wasn't the point. The question is 'as I' or 'as me'.

    He went to the same school as I.
    He went to same school as me.

    Is that better?
    Do you use "that" instead of as?

  8. #8
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: as I

    Quote Originally Posted by Elemoi View Post
    Do you use "that" instead of as?
    You can say, "He went to the same school that I did".
    But that's a different sentence and, "He went to the same school that me" is definitely wrong and no one would say it.

  9. #9
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,151

    Re: as I

    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaw.masny View Post
    We study in order to learn.Studying is a process, while learning is the outcome.
    Am I right?
    E.g.: I have studied a lot last year, but I am not sure whether I learned enough to take the exam.
    Yes, but there's some overlap and you'll see study used for the outcome often enough.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •