Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I am aware that the following question may be offensive to most native members, but I would like to know whether the following term is used by native speakers. If not, what is the correct term?

The term "pass motion" is often used in Asian countries such as India, Singapore and Malaysia to refer to defecate.

Sorry for asking a sensitive question, but I am at a loss what the correct term should be.

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I am aware that the following question may be offensive to most native members, but I would like to know whether the following term is used by native speakers. If not, what is the correct term?

The term "pass motion" is often used in Asian countries such as India, Singapore and Malaysia to refer to defecate.

Sorry for asking a sensitive question, but I am at a loss what the correct term should be.

Thanks.
"To pass a motion" is used in that context.

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
"Passing a motion" is a rarely used term outside of the doctor's surgery.

I have never heard it being used in common, everyday language.

You are more likely to hear, "... go to the toilet".

If you need to be specific, then you would employ a slang word or a euphemism.

Urinate:
1. I need to do "a number one".
2. Take a tinkle.
3. Take (or do) a wee.
4. Take a slash.
5. Take (or do) a piss.

Pass a motion:
1. I need to do "a number two".
2. Take (or do) a poo.
3. Take (or do) a crap.
4. Take (or do) a shit.

In politically correct society, you would never use terms 4,5 for urinating; and terms 3,4 for passing a motion.

The English language has literally hundreds of euphemisms/slang words to describe this most basic of human activities - most of them are quite funny.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thanks.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) I have lived my whole (long) life here in the United States, and I had never, ever heard or seen that expression until your post.

(2) Thank you -- I think -- for teaching me that expression.

(3) I think that some ways refined people refer to this delicate matter include:

(a) I have to go to the bathroom.

(b) I have to do a number 2.

(c) I have to go to the reading room.

(d) If anyone calls, tell them that I am in conference.

Of course, there are many coarse ways to refer to this matter, but

they offend my delicate sensibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.