Question on the word "less and than"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjneath

Member Type
Other
Hello, first post here. Great forum btw...

I am having trouble with a sub-title in a paper I am writing.

It is: Is a Beach Wedding less Expensive than Traditional?

*I have read that words with fewer than 4 letters are not capped...i am pretty sure that "than" is not capped, but is the word "less?" I keep trying to find out what part of speech the word "less" is, but cannot find it anywhere. I'm starting to feel quite stupid at this point. :oops:

Can someone help me out?

Thank you in advance!
Cynthia

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
***Neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

What Words Do I Capitalize in a Title?

If you check the link, you'll see what I quoted below;

These are the words that should not be capitalized;

~Articles (the, a, an), unless the article is the first or (less likely, of course) last word of the title

~Prepositions of four letters or fewer (unless the preposition is the first or last word of the title)

~Conjunctions of four letters or fewer (unless the
conjunction is the first or last word of the title)

~The particle "to" used with an infinitive (unless the "to" is the first or last word of the title)
-----
So, it is suggested that "than" (conjunction, 4 letters) should not be capitalized.
In your sentence, the word "less" is adjective, and therefore doesn't fit the any of the conditions mentioned above(except it is of 4 leters). So, it is suggested that "less" should be capitalized.

I just intented to give you an idea about what you had asked, purely based on a link that I found on the net. So, I believe that the other members of the forums could give you much more detailed information about this matter.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello, first post here. Great forum btw...

I am having trouble with a sub-title in a paper I am writing.

It is: Is a Beach Wedding less Expensive than Traditional?

*I have read that words with fewer than 4 letters are not capped...i am pretty sure that "than" is not capped, but is the word "less?" I keep trying to find out what part of speech the word "less" is, but cannot find it anywhere. I'm starting to feel quite stupid at this point. :oops:

Can someone help me out?

Thank you in advance!
Cynthia
Your subtitle is ambiguous.
Do you mean:
Is a beach wedding less expensive than a traditional wedding?
(The answer to this would be: not necessarily.)

As it's written, it means:
Is a beach wedding less expensive than it is traditional?
And that's a strange sentence.

cjneath

Member Type
Other
Hello, thank you for the helpful links.

It is actually a subheading that I was focusing on. The title is "Going Against the Grain by Having a Beach Wedding." I discuss the benefits of how fun, whimsical, etc. a beach wedding could be. Then I subhead the following par. with "Is a Beach Wedding Less Expensive Than a Traditional Wedding." and go on to discuss how it can be less expensive than a huge church wedding. I understand how you all could be confused with my question as I did not provide much info for you. I thank you both so much for your help!

I have recently been working as a freelance author on Textbroker. It doesn't pay very well, but it is an awesome way to improve my writing technique. Regarding the article I was asking you all about, it is one that I was trying to get passed on Constant-Content. They pay much better for your articles, plus they let you keep your byline. However, they are extremely strict and so I wanted to make sure I didn't make silly mistakes. The editor there rejects you for every error (as he should), but after 3 rejections you never can write for them again. Wish I had a proofreader! Anyway, thx guys!

Cynthia

Status
Not open for further replies.