• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Question Does the question of What is the man? really ask about a person's occupation?

Dear all,

I remember when I was studying in junior high school, one of my English teacher said, The question of Who are you? is asking about your name or your relationship with somebody. Therefore, you can reply, I am John. or I am Johns brother. However, the question of What are you? is asking about your job, so you have to answer like, Im a teacher.

Nevertheless, during the time I staying in New Zealand, Ive never heard anybody use What are you? to ask a persons occupation. Instead of it, theyre more likely to use Whats your job?, What do you do for living (or for life)?

Does the question of What is the man? really ask about a persons occupation? If so, is it popular for people to ask someone like this? (Because, I cant find the same sentence on the Internet or any English books; only in Chinese English studying book.)

Frankly speaking, the more I study English, the more I doubt about the accuracy of these Chinese English studying books

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Does the question of What is the man? really ask about a person's occupation?

I wouldn't use 'what are you?', but I would understand it. 'What is the man' really doesn't make much sense.