1. Shaz Mc

Conditional Functions

Hi, I'm having a bit of difficulty getting my head round these Conditional Sentences. Can someone please give me some advice.

1. If you touch the fire, you'll get burned. (Is this when we give advice / when we give a warning).

2. If you don't stop playing with my computer, you'll break it. (Is this sentence giving a warning & talking about future possibilities or probabilities).

3. If I win the competition, I'll share the prize money with you. (Is the sentence talking about future possibilities or probabilities / A Hypothetical Situation).

Kings Regards

Sharon

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Conditional Functions

Quote Originally Posted by Shaz Mc View Post
    Hi, I'm having a bit of difficulty getting my head round these Conditional Sentences. Can someone please give me some advice.

1. If you touch the fire, you'll get burned. (Is this when we give advice / when we give a warning).
    It could be a warning. By itself, it's merely a statement of a rather obvious truth.

2. If you don't stop playing with my computer, you'll break it. (Is this sentence giving a warning & talking about future possibilities or probabilities).
    Yes.
    I'm warning you - if you don't stop playing with my computer, there's a future possibility/probability that you'll break it.

3. If I win the competition, I'll share the prize money with you. (Is the sentence talking about future possibilities or probabilities / A Hypothetical Situation).
    Given your choices, and the fact that you've used up 'possibilities/probabilities on 2, I'd say that this is a hypothetical situation. Apart from that, you haven't won the competition, so it is hypothetical.

Kings Regards

Sharon
    But more importantly than just having the right answer, do you understand this?