i am a student in MA programe (linguistics). currently, i am conducting a cross-sectional study about request stratigies used by Saudi EFL learners. in order to complete my study, i need English native speaker's responces to the DCT (discourse completion task ) given, to compare them with EFL's .
i will really appreciate it if you participate soon enough :)
if you do, please mention your age, sex and educationl status.
the DCT is listed below.
thanx in advance for your time and effort :)
p.s. these situations are taken from Ferit Kılıηkaya (2010)
1. You have to prepare homework. You need a book and you have seen that particular book in the office of a distinguished professor. You want to borrow that book from that professor. How would you request it?
2. You have a new girlfriend/boyfriend. Tomorrow you are going on a date for the first time; however, you do not have enough money. You want to borrow some money from your best friend. How would you request it?
3. You have an exam tomorrow morning, but your neighbors children are making a lot of noise upstairs. You want to ask your neighbor, who is older than you and whom you do not like much, to keep their children quiet at home. How would you ask him to keep his children quiet?
4. Your friends father is in town to visit his son/daughter. He invited his son/daughter and you for a dinner. You are having dinner at a restaurant. The waiter came and you are going to order your meal. How would you order?
5. You have a party. You want to sell tickets of this party to a young sociable professor. How would you ask him/her to buy a ticket for the party?
6. You have an exam next week. You lost your notes, and you know that your best friend have very good notes. You are going to ask for her/his notes to photocopy. How would you request her/his notes?
7. You are preparing homework and you need some help. You want to ask for the help of a young sociable professor. How would you request his/her help?
8. You are at Burger King. How would you order a whopper, chips and a coke?
9. One of your professors promised to announce exam results, but he did not reveal your mark since he did not finish reading your papers. How would you ask him why he hasnt made the announcement yet?
10. When you got on the bus, you realize that you have no tickets. How would you request permission from the driver to ask for a ticket from the passengers?
i am counting on u guys !
just one or two not more
i wiil really appreciate it