What does this mean?

• Thread starter bennet89
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,598
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bennet89

"What could account for a libido so markedly low that it countenance such a relationship?"

The above snippet is from a book I am reading now. I could not understand this part. Please help.

I am confused as to whether the question is about how such a low libido came about or how such a low libido could stem a relationship. What is the questioning referring to?

'Such a relationship' here means a marriage that is devoid of physical relationship.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"What could account for a libido so markedly low that it could/would countenance such a relationship?"

I think you might have left a word out.
"How do you explain a sex drive so low that it would tolerate such a relationship?"
However, libidos don't have relationships, so it's a bad sentence anyway, I think. It sounds like the writer is referring to the owner of the libido with "it".

The above snippet is from a book I am reading now. I could not understand this part. Please help.

I am confused as to whether the question is about how such a low libido came about or how such a low libido could stem from[?] a relationship. What is the questioning referring to?

'Such a relationship' here means a marriage that is devoid of physical relationship.
R.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm, not so sure. Until quite recently a subjunctive would be used after 'that' (to mean 'might/could/should countenance').

b

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"What could account for a libido so markedly low that it countenance such a relationship?"

I am confused as to whether the question is about how such a low libido came about or how such a low libido could stem a relationship. What is the questioning referring to?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good afternoon, Bennet.

(1) Perhaps I am a poor reader, but the question seems simple enough:

(a) Mr. and Mrs. X have a non-physical relationship.

(b) Either Mr. X or Mrs. X or both have no problem with this situation.

(c) What caused Mr. X and/or Mrs. X to have this low interest in that aspect of marriage? Trauma in their younger years? Confusion about their true orientation? Religious inhibitions? etc.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: An American English view. As I've said elsewhere, the American chapter of the Society for the Protection of the Subjunctive is much more active than ours. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.