Is it grammatically right to say "which one is you" instead of "which one are you"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lillicanthink

Member Type
Student or Learner
Is it grammatically right to say "which one is you" instead of "which one are you"?

If I'm shown a photo of my friend and another person, should I say "which one is you" or "which one are you"? Thank you very much for your help.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Re: Is it grammatically right to say "which one is you" instead of "which one are you

If I'm shown a photo of my friend and another person, should I say "which one is you" or "which one are you"? Thank you very much for your help.

Which person in the picture is you?
Which one is you?

not a teacher

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Is it grammatically right to say "which one is you" instead of "which one are you

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning, Lillicanthink.

(1) Several months ago, we had a similar thread.

(2) If you type these words in the search box, you may find it.

(3) I think that many of us agreed on the following:

(a) If you are THINKING of "which person," then you would say something like:

Excuse me. Which one (of these persons) IS you.

That is: Please tell me which one IS you.

(b) If you are THINKING of "you," then you would say something like:

Excuse me. Which one (of these persons) ARE you? (I'm having a terrible time finding YOU).

That is: Please tell which one you ARE.

(4) Although English is my only language, I also find this confusing. The answers I have given you were given to me by a very experienced ESL teacher.

Have a nice day!

lillicanthink

Member Type
Student or Learner

Hi TheParser!

Thank you very much indeed for your kind help. Your elaborate explanation gave me a clear understanding of the problem. Actually, the word “thankyou” is far from enough for me to express my gratitude, for I’ve been puzzled by the issue for a long time, during which I consulted many people, both online and offline, but no one provided me as clear an answer as yours.

Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Enjoy your day!
:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.