forming questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

o.h.t.o

Member Type
Student or Learner
They got help from some coutries. Which countries did they get help from?

Is this right?

Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They got help from some countries. Which countries did they get help from?

Is this right?

Thanks in advance.

It is correct, though you may still find some people who say that a preposition should never be the last word in a sentence. They would probably say: "From which countries did they get help?"

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is correct, though you may still find some people who say that a preposition should never be the last word in a sentence. They would probably say: "From which countries did they get help?"

What about:
Where do you come from?
From where do you come?

Last edited:

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I've no problem with where to put from, but my problem is which. If the context doesn't give the information on how many countries involved, could we use what instead of which ? I know that the UN has 192 members and a couple of more countries do exist without being member of the UN or without being recognized by the majority of the member countries. It doesn't matter it's 192 or 195 or whatever but, to me, it seems quite high enough not to use "which" and this is the very point at that I can't tell if I'm wrong or right. Does using either which or what depend on the quantity? If I was to pick something out of another two or three things, it should have not been a problem but, out of 192 or 195, that seems a problem to me. So, in a nutshell, what or which, which one should we use?

o.h.t.o

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you all very much. :-D

I think ''which'' sounds more suitable here.

Status
Not open for further replies.