Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you had any ideas about teaching clauses stating conditions and reasons such as, 'as long as', 'unless', 'only if', 'even if', etc.

I'm actually looking for some natural ways to work them out, so that Ss get how to use them more fluently in their speech. I'd appreciate any hints...Many thanks in advance...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What problems are they having?

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What problems are they having?

Thanks....I've tried different things...yet, they can't use the structures easily. I need some tasks so that we can work on the structures more fluently. Thanks again for considering the post...

Earthlark

Member Type
English Teacher
Find or create some interesting texts/movies with lots of conditional clauses. The students probably need lots of examples in order to understand more clearly. Try to find some different activities you can do with those texts - sorting, categorizing, matching, etc. These aren't very specific ideas, but perhaps you or someone else can build off them.

Perhaps you could take sentences from those texts and work with the students to display (students could draw cartoons) what happens if you change the clause: "I will put you in jail unless you dance." "I will put you in jail even if you dance." "I will put you in jail only if you dance." Making pictures could help them solidify these statements in their mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.