"All of which" or "all of whom"?

This one has me thinking. And I am beginning to suspect both options are correct.

"He was one of a group of archeologists, all of which / all of whom died under mysterious circumstances".

I am sure which is correct here since hikers is a noun, i.e. a "thing". I am doubtul about whom though, since a little bird tells me that can only be used in the singular ... and we have several hikers here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: "All of which" or "all of whom"?

I would use "whom" since it clearly refers to people, i.e., the archeologists.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: "All of which" or "all of whom"?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Bill View Post
    This one has me thinking. And I am beginning to suspect both options are correct.

"He was one of a group of archeologists, all of which / all of whom died under mysterious circumstances".

I am sure which is correct here since hikers is a noun, i.e. a "thing". I am doubtul about whom though, since a little bird tells me that can only be used in the singular ... and we have several hikers here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill
    There is no reason to only use "whom" in the singular. You are talking about a group of people, therefore who/whom would be appropriate depending on the sentence. In this context, all of whom is perfect.