Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Allen165 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,672

    In vs. On

    A sentence from a textbook:

    "The focus of the speech category lies not in the offensiveness of the idea but on the mode of expression."

    I'm wondering why the author wrote "on the mode" instead of "in the mode." Any ideas?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: In vs. On

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    A sentence from a textbook:

    "The focus of the speech category lies not in the offensiveness of the idea but on the mode of expression."

    I'm wondering why the author wrote "on the mode" instead of "in the mode." Any ideas?

    Thanks.
    S/he's semi-literate, or wasn't concentrating?

  3. #3
    Nightmare85's Avatar
    Nightmare85 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,327

    Re: In vs. On

    **Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.**

    I doubt it but "i" and "o" are neighbors, so it could be a typo...

    Cheers!

  4. #4
    Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,516

    Re: In vs. On

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    A sentence from a textbook:

    "The focus of the speech category lies not in the offensiveness of the idea but on the mode of expression."

    I'm wondering why the author wrote "on the mode" instead of "in the mode." Any ideas?

    Thanks.
    What's the author's nationality?


    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post

    I doubt it but "i" and "o" are neighbors, so it could be a typo...
    Not in my Dvorak keyboard!

  5. #5
    Allen165 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,672

    Re: In vs. On

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    What's the author's nationality?




    Not in my Dvorak keyboard!
    The author is an American lawyer. I guess it's a typo.

  6. #6
    Kazuo is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    144

    Re: In vs. On

    Hello, Jasmin165!

    "The focus of the speech category lies not in the offensiveness of the idea but the focus of the speech category is on the mode of expression."

    The passage underlined was omitted.


    ++++ Not a teacher ++++

  7. #7
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: In vs. On

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazuo View Post
    Hello, Jasmin165!

    "The focus of the speech category lies not in the offensiveness of the idea but the focus of the speech category is on the mode of expression."

    The passage underlined was omitted.


    ++++ Not a teacher ++++
    No, you can't do that. You've removed a verb "is" and expected "lies" to cover for it. It doesn't work. You could do it if the first verb was "is".

    Anyhow, you could almost get by with:
    "The focus of the speech category lies not in the offensiveness of the idea but is on the mode of expression." You'd need to include 'is'.

    Why are people so averse to attributing apparent textual errors to laziness, incompetence or poor English skills? I'm sure they're the main causes.

  8. #8
    Allen165 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,672

    Re: In vs. On

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No, you can't do that. You've removed a verb "is" and expected "lies" to cover for it. It doesn't work. You could do it if the first verb was "is".

    Anyhow, you could almost get by with:
    "The focus of the speech category lies not in the offensiveness of the idea but is on the mode of expression." You'd need to include 'is'.

    Why are people so averse to attributing apparent textual errors to laziness, incompetence or poor English skills? I'm sure they're the main causes.
    In this particular case, I would say because the person who wrote the sentence is a law professor and is thus likely to have a better command of the English language than I do, but also because I'm assuming that his book was proofread by editors. I may, of course, be wrong on both counts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •