Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,953

    adverb vs. conjunction

    Hi

    What answer should I choose ?

    I have invited him. Also / And, I have invited his sister.

    In my opinion and is the right answer. Yet, I am not sure.

    Please help me. Thank you very much in advance.

  2. #2
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,916

    Re: adverb vs. conjunction

    Given the comma, it must be 'Also', although 'I have invited him and [I have invited] his sister' would sound better. Personally, I'd probably say 'I have invited him. I've invited his sister too' but that's not an option .

    b

  3. #3
    ucef's Avatar
    ucef is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    172

    Smile Re: adverb vs. conjunction

    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    Hi

    What answer should I choose ?

    I have invited him. Also / And, I have invited his sister.

    In my opinion and is the right answer. Yet, I am not sure.

    Please help me. Thank you very much in advance.
    Peace be with you, I think it will be better if we rephrase it in order to avoid repetition.
    I invited him and his sister.

  4. #4
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,953

    Re: adverb vs. conjunction

    Quote Originally Posted by ucef View Post
    Peace be with you, I think it will be better if we rephrase it in order to avoid repetition.
    I invited him and his sister.
    Thank you very much for your answer.

    I cannot rephrase. The sentences are part of a test paper found in a grammar book. It would have been much easier for me to rephrase but this was not and is not an option. It`s a request stated by a test paper.

    Thank you again

  5. #5
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,953

    Re: adverb vs. conjunction

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Given the comma, it must be 'Also', although 'I have invited him and [I have invited] his sister' would sound better. Personally, I'd probably say 'I have invited him. I've invited his sister too' but that's not an option .

    b
    Thank you BobK for your answer.

  6. #6
    ucef's Avatar
    ucef is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    172

    Smile Re: adverb vs. conjunction

    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    Thank you very much for your answer.

    I cannot rephrase. The sentences are part of a test paper found in a grammar book. It would have been much easier for me to rephrase but this was not and is not an option. It`s a request stated by a test paper.

    Thank you again
    you are welcome.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •