[General] Address punctuation

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,490
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Over the years, it seems that the use of the semi-colon has changed. Which of the following would be considered grammatically correct?

The Martin Group, LLC; 138 Jackson Street; Matawan, NJ 07747
or
The Martin Group, LLC, 138 Jackson Street, Matawan, NJ 07747

I learned over 30 years ago that the semi-colon was to be used. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Salvatore Diecidue

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Over the years, it seems that the use of the semi-colon has changed. Which of the following would be considered grammatically correct?

or

I learned over 30 years ago that the semi-colon was to be used. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Salvatore Diecidue

Well, it was clearly used long before I learnt to write addresses as I have never seen it used (in the UK, that is).

When writing the address in one line as you have done, each part would be separated by a comma, but when addressing an envelope, no comma is necessary.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

or

Thank you,
Salvatore Diecidue
This is something that depends on your post office. You should address your mail in a way that is most suitable for your post office's automated directing machines.
In Aus, we no longer use any punctuation. This prevents the machine reading a ; for a 1, etc.

Mr AB Smith
The Martin Group
LLC
138 Jackson Street
Matawan NJ 07747
USA

Status
Not open for further replies.