[General] Better wording of "located at research institution"

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,894
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Question: If a person was working at one institution (a university), but had his office at a different institution, how can this be described in good English?

The sentence "While working at [institution 1], I was located at [institution 2]" smells wrong to me, but I can't figure out a good alternative.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Were you seconded to the institution 2?

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Question: If a person was working at one institution (a university), but had his office at a different institution, how can this be described in good English?

The sentence "While working at [institution 1], I was located at [institution 2]" smells wrong to me, but I can't figure out a good alternative.

What is his relationship with the two institutions? Is they both full-time appointments?

Secondment is on a temporary basis and does not mean a person is working for two institutions at the same time.

What about 'attachment to two institutions and having his base at one of them'?

not a teacher

Karl

Member Type
Student or Learner
What is his relationship with the two institutions? Is they both full-time appointments?

Secondment is on a temporary basis and does not mean a person is working for two institutions at the same time.

What about 'attachment to two institutions and having his base at one of them'?

not a teacher

He was only working for one of them. His institution rented an office at the other institution (due to lack of space), and he was invited to take part in the academic and social environment at the other institution, i.e. for most practical purposes he was like an employee of that organization by having his workplace and colleagues there rather than at the institution he was formally employed by (i.e. he was "physically located" there). I don't think it's quite the same as secondment, though. This was a research institution and he was doing his own stuff (also research). The context is that he wishes to mention this affiliation/thank his colleagues at institution no 2 (the one he was not formally employed by) in a paper.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You've said it - the 2nd institution is the institution where he is based and is affiliated to.

Status
Not open for further replies.