[Vocabulary] plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

raihanhamiza

Member Type
English Teacher
Are morning glory, rose, sunflower etc considered as plants or flowers?
some people say morning glory plant, rose plant etc but some say morning glory, rose, sunflower etc are understood as type of plants. :cry:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, a type of plant. Flowering plants.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just to add to what Bill said, flowers are a type of plants. It is completely correct to refer to them as plants or flowering plants.

However, if you said "I got some new plants for my garden" my first assumption is that they would NOT be flowering plants. I would expect "I got some new flowers" for my garden if they were flowers. If you then went on to list plants that WERE flowers, I would not be shocked or think you had mis-spoken, but my first guess would have been non-flowering plants.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Are morning glory, rose, sunflower etc considered as plants or flowers?
some people say morning glory plant, rose plant etc but some say morning glory, rose, sunflower etc are understood as type of plants. :cry:
A rose (and other flowering plants) is a flower. It's also a plant.
The plant is the whole thing - the roots, branches, stems, flowers etc. The flower, strictly, is the reproductive organ at the end of the flower stem, beginning with the calyx.
If you give someone roses, you give them flowers on their stems (stalks). If you plant roses in your garden, you plant the whole thing.
Not all plants have flowers (e.g. conifers), but all flowers are attached to plants (unless they're cut).

raihanhamiza

Member Type
English Teacher
Greetings!
What's your opinion in regards of these sentences?

1) She is planting the rose plant. - I considered this sentence correct. What do you think?
2) She is planting rose. - How about this one, pals? To me, the sentence is not right.
3) The morning glory plant has purple flowers. - I believe this sentence is correct. What's your opinion?
4) The morning glory has purple flowers. - How about this one? To me, it is incorrect because "morning glory" itself is refering to the flower.
5) He is watering the hibiscus. - The sentence is not right because the verb used is watering,we are not watering flower but plant.
6) He is watering the hibiscus plant. - this sentence should be perfect. What's your opinion?

There's a parent who claimed that sentence no. 2,4 and 5 are correct. Pls help me. Need urgent reply! TQVM :)

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
(2) is better than (1). In English, there is no need to say rose plant or orchid plant, unlike in Malay (pokok ros/pokok okid)

(4) is better than (3) for the same reason above. Or if it is a general statement, you do not need 'the'. You say, 'morning glory has purple flowers'.

(5) Hibiscus actually refers to the plant, not the flower. For e.g. the hibiscus flower is the national flower of Malaysia.

(6) He is watering the hibiscus (or the bougainvillea or the heliconia). You don't need to say 'plant', it is understood.

not a teacher

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello raihanhamiza

1) She is planting the rose plant. - I considered this sentence correct. What do you think? No, not natural.

2) She is planting the rose. - How about this one, pals? To me, the sentence is not right. If you already know the person has purchased a rose bush that must be planted. "She is planting roses" seems better to me.

3) The morning glory plant has purple flowers. - I believe this sentence is correct. What's your opinion? It refers to the entire plant, so using "plant" here sound unnatural.

4) The morning glory has purple flowers. - How about this one? To me, it is incorrect because "morning glory" itself is refering to the flower. This is exactly how I would say this. A "flower" is both a flowering plant (Daises are my favorite flower) and the part of the plant that is the actual flower.

5) He is watering the hibiscus. - The sentence is not right because the verb used is watering,we are not watering flower but plant. No, again, it refers to the entire plant. This sentence is correct.

6) He is watering the hibiscus plant. - this sentence should be perfect. What's your opinion? This sentence is not natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.