Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    LQZ is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    188

    Question in several years vs. over several years

    Dear teacher,

    1 According to information I collected in several years, this kind of knowledge is not as useful as expected.
    2 According to information I collected over several years, this kind of knowledge is not as useful as expected.

    Both are created by me. Now could you tell me which one works for you and explain further why? Thanks in advance.

    LQZ

  2. #2
    tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,108

    Re: in several years vs. over several years

    Quote Originally Posted by LQZ View Post
    Dear teacher,

    1 According to information I collected in several years, this kind of knowledge is not as useful as expected.
    2 According to information I collected over several years, this kind of knowledge is not as useful as expected.

    Both are created by me. Now could you tell me which one works for you and explain further why? Thanks in advance.

    LQZ
    You collect something
    for several years or over several years, not in several years

    'In several years' means several years to come

  3. #3
    LQZ is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    188

    Re: in several years vs. over several years

    Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post
    You collect something
    for several years or over several years, not in several years

    'In several years' means several years to come
    Sorry, tedtmc, I humbly don't agree with you.

    To me, both "in several years" and "over several years" tell the reader past time and "in several years" may be a better choice. But I am not wholly srue myself. That is why I post this thread.

  4. #4
    tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,108

    Re: in several years vs. over several years

    Quote Originally Posted by LQZ View Post
    To me, both "in several years" and "over several years" tell the reader past time and "in several years" may be a better choice. But I am not wholly sure myself. That is why I post this thread.
    LQZ, what do your mean by underlined phrase?

  5. #5
    LQZ is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    188

    Re: in several years vs. over several years

    Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post
    LQZ, what do your mean by underlined phrase?
    the reader --> somebody who read what you wrote
    past time ---> previous time

    Make sense now?

  6. #6
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    25,698

    Re: in several years vs. over several years

    tedtmc is right, "in" is incorrect.

  7. #7
    LQZ is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    188

    Re: in several years vs. over several years

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    tedtmc is right, "in" is incorrect.
    Why? Could you explain further? I am still confused.

  8. #8
    tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,108

    Re: in several years vs. over several years

    Quote Originally Posted by LQZ View Post
    the reader --> somebody who read what you wrote
    past time ---> previous time

    Make sense now?
    No, 'tell the reader past time or previous time' does not make sense.

    There is no such phrase as 'past time'.
    You can say 'the previous time' but not 'previous time'.

  9. #9
    LQZ is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    188

    Re: in several years vs. over several years

    Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post
    No, 'tell the reader past time or previous time' does not make sense.

    There is no such phrase as 'past time'.
    You can say 'the previous time' but not 'previous time'.
    Thanks tedtmc. I've got it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •