Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: English book

  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 33

    English book

    Hello there,

    Is it correct to say:

    1) I forgot to bring my English book. (Does this mean my English text book or a book written in the English Language). Is it better to say, I forgot to bring my English Language book.

    2) I forgot to bring my Economics book.

    3) In school, we always say, I forgot to bring my maths but it sounds funny if I say I forgot to bring my economics.

    Thank you.

  2. Editor,
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 62,373

    Re: English book

    1 It is more likely to be your English Language book. It could be a book written in English, but it would imply that you only had one book in English, and from the context, I would assume that you meant a book to study English. You could also use the word textbook or coursebook to make it absolutely clear.
    2 Yes
    3 To me, I forgot my maths means that I can't remember what I was taught- I would say maths book.

Similar Threads

  1. Discussion about accent when speaking English
    By Mr.Vu in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-Jun-2009, 16:58
  2. what makes a good book?
    By lizbet in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-Mar-2009, 19:59
  3. Why I learn English the language I hate
    By zhengrong in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 22-Jul-2007, 22:30
  4. Seminar
    By mallikatweety in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-Jun-2006, 11:07


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts