Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Zambia
Current Location
Zambia
What does it mean exactly when one asks, " What are you on?". Attended a meeting where the speaker was literally babbling. My colleague whispered to me and said "Gosh! what's this guy on?". First I thought he meant 'what's he talking about' but then I thought again that he meant the speaker was obviously under the influence of some drug or something similar. Could it have meant either in this context?:-|

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Exactly. What types of drugs is he on?

Are you on something?
What are you on?

We don't usually think the person really has taken illegal drugs, but the implication is that he is acting like someone who has.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What does it mean exactly when one asks, " What are you on?". Attended a meeting where the speaker was literally babbling. My colleague whispered to me and said "Gosh! what's this guy on?". First I thought he meant 'what's he talking about' but then I thought again that he meant the speaker was obviously under the influence of some drug or something similar. Could it have meant either in this context?:-|

Barb's answer is fine. Informally, you could render 'What's he talking about' as 'What's he on about?' But 'What's he on?' implies drugs of one sort or another.

b

Agnes

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Zambia
Current Location
Zambia
Barb's answer is fine. Informally, you could render 'What's he talking about' as 'What's he on about?' But 'What's he on?' implies drugs of one sort or another.

b

Thanks BobK, You've answered the other part of my question.:-D

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks BobK, You've answered the other part of my question.:-D
I thought maybe that was the problem! Some users think I should always stick to answering the question asked, but I like to take a bit more care. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.