Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

Is this sentence right?

She's always slagging off her friends. She should stop behaving like that. Her friends won't forgive her unless she gets it acted out.

(I want to say they won't forgive her unless she shows it in practice and her behaviour,...) (any other phrase meaning the same?)

Thanks...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there,

Is this sentence right?

She's always slagging off her friends. She should stop behaving like that. Her friends won't forgive her unless she gets it acted out.

(I want to say they won't forgive her unless she shows it in practice and her behaviour,...) (any other phrase meaning the same?)

Thanks...

I think "unless she cleans up her act" would be better. Or "unless she sorts herself out".

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think "unless she cleans up her act" would be better. Or "unless she sorts herself out".

Thanks a lot dear emsr2d2,
But, what, when Sb promises to change Sth about their behaviour, we can't make sure until we see the change in their behaviour (a physical change, sth touchable, or sth we can see in their behaviour). What I'm looking for might be the second part of "all mouth and no trousers"! Can I say, to get it acted out?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot dear emsr2d2,
But, what, when Sb promises to change Sth about their behaviour, we can't make sure until we see the change in their behaviour (a physical change, sth touchable, or sth we can see in their behaviour). What I'm looking for might be the second part of "all mouth and no trousers"! Can I say, to get it acted out?

"To get it acted out" is not a phrase I have ever heard in any context.

I'm not sure what connection "all mouth and no trousers" has in this thread.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'... unless she starts to practise what she preaches'?

b

I've always liked that phrase, but in the context of the original quote, the girl in question doesn't seem to "preach" that being nice to people is important, she is just generally unpleasant to people.

If she constantly said that being nice was something everyone should do, but then she herself did the opposite, I would agree that this would be the perfect phrase.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I see your point.

After the Rochdale incident, she could be described as 'doing a Gordon' (BBC News - Gordon Brown 'bigoted woman' comment caught on tape ) ;-)

NOTE: this is a joke; there is no such idiom (as far as I know).

Perhaps this would do: 'unless she stops being such a hypocrite/so two-faced...'. Of course, depending on the degree of formality, the latter provides lots of scope for vitriolic variations, along the lines of 'being such a two-faced b****'.

b

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi and thanks to you...

Could I just say "till she practises what she says"? Here, what she said was a promise. Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi and thanks to you...

Could I just say "till she practises what she says"? Here, what she said was a promise. Thanks.

I assume, then, that you didn't post all relevant parts of the original quote. In your post, she promised nothing. It simply says that she is rude to everyone and her friends won't forgive her unless she changes her ways.

If at some point in the passage she has in fact promised to change her behaviour, then you can say that her friends won't forgive her until she "makes good on her promise".

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

I'm sorry, but you've made 20 posts so far.
19 posts: "thinks"
1 post: "thinks men"

If you want to thank someone, just click the tanks button rather than writing thanks (not thinks) all the time.
Furthermore, I cannot understand your way of acting...

Please don't see it as an insult.

Cheers!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'Thinks' is conventionally used in comic strips to indicate that the character is thinking. So writing 'Thinks' could be taken as implying 'I hear what you're saying and I'm not sure whether to believe it. I'm still thinking', or 'I think you're wrong', or - less offensively in this context :) - 'I'm still confused' or maybe 'It'll take a while to understand your answer'!

b

PS As a joke - a caricature of an extreme RP accent - I've heard 'think softly' used to represent 'thanks awfully'.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm sorry, but you've made 20 posts so far.
19 posts: "thinks"
1 post: "thinks men"

If you want to thank someone, just click the tanks button rather than writing thanks (not thinks) all the time.
Furthermore, I cannot understand your way of acting...

Please don't see it as an insult.

Cheers!

You just took the words out of my mouth!

Status
Not open for further replies.