Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

What's the right word for (cleaning) or (separate the bad ones from good ones) especially when for example you need to cut the long stems short, or take the weeds off them,...etc.?! .....Pick up?!

Thanks...

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's the right word for (cleaning) or (separate the bad ones from good ones) especially when for example you need to cut the long stems short, or take the weeds off them,...etc.?! .....Pick up?!

I'm no expert on vegetable matters, but I'm afraid that we might have different words for different vegetables in different contexts!

Could you give us some specific examples so we can have a better idea of what you need? :cool:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can sort (separate the good from the bad), trim (cut the bits off you don't want), and wash/clean. there will be other possibilities.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A more general word that covers all - preparation (for cooking or for selling)

not a teacher

bds51

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Germany
Hello Mehgran,
I agree with tedtmc: prepare. We often shortened the verb to 'prep' and at the time when I was in MA (U.S.) we served 1500 vegetarian meals a day 49 weeks a year. Today, they're probably serving more but I'll bet the term 'veggi(e) prep' is still being used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree - preparation would cover almost all eventualities - sorting, cleaning, peeling, scrubbing, washing, as well as chopping, cutting, slicing, dicing etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.