Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"In the desert the tools of survival are underground—troglodyte caves, water sleeping within a buried plant, weapons, a plane. At longitude 25, latitude 23, I dug down towards the tarpaulin, and Madox’s old plane gradually emerged. It was night and even in the cold air I was sweating. I carried the naphtha lantern over to her and sat for a while, beside the silhouette of her nod. Two lovers and desert—starlight or moonlight, I don’t remember. Everywhere else out there was a war.

The plane came out of the sand. There had been no food and I was weak. The tarp so heavy I couldn’t dig it out but had simply to cut it away.
In the morning, after two hours’ sleep, I carried her into the cockpit. I started the motor and it rolled into life. We moved and then slipped, years too late, into the sky. "

:?:
Does the blue words mean"water in a buried plant"? How do you find a buried plant in the desert? My guess is,you buried it yourself and then when you needed the water, you unearthed it out.

But, how can the water be retained in such a plant buried in the desert? Maybe, the water already dried up before you find it?

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
你好 sherishine
There are some plants in the desert with the eatable roots under the ground.
I don't remember their names at the moment.
Thank you for your question. S.M.
晚安

Last edited:

sherishine

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China